Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Learning new things

Today, I jumped a car for the first time.

Well, our van actually. But you get the idea.

JB and I have been trying to "give me more knowledge." If he were to get deployed (which technically could happen as early as this December), there are many things I do not know how to do. So, I have many things to learn. I am trying to learn them in bite-sized pieces.

Last week I gave the dog a bath in our shower. John always does this. I did it and did a mighty fine job if I do say so myself.

Today, I learned how to jump a car.

After leaving the door to our van open all night, I came to the realization when I went to go to the post office today, that my van was dead. Thank goodness Joia was there so I could use her's to run my errand.

Since I didn't have anywhere else to go before JB got home, I told Joia I'd just wait for John to get home and jump the van. So I did. When he got home I told him that the van was dead and he would need to jump it for me. John shook his head.

"What?" I said.

"I'm not jumping it," he said.

I rolled my eyes and continued scrubbing the kitchen counter. "Of course you are. I need to use it tomorrow."

"I know, but I am not going to jump it. You are."

"I know how to jump a car," I said, trying to convince myself that the one time I watched my neighbor do it for me when JB was out-of-town had been enough.

"Good," JB laughed as he scooped Elijah up onto his shoulders and headed out the side door. "Then you won't have any problem doing it this time."

I rolled my eyes again. (Although that's not important to the story.)

John stood by the side of the van and just observed me follow the directions on the jumper cable packaging. He said he would jump in before I shocked myself. He didn't have to jump in at all. I did it all by myself!

And the van now runs! Yay for me! Yay for one more thing scratched off my "I-need-to-know-how-to-do-this-for-when-JB-deploys" list.

In other news, I watched Keenan and Moriah for a couple of hours this morning. When Joia came back, she stayed at the house so I could run to the post office and library without having to bring the boys in. Then she stuck around and we had lunch together. I love that girl.

Keenan, as always, was cracking me up. Here were two of my favorites.

Keenan: Did you know I can skate on books?

Wendi: I did not know that.

Keenan: My Mommy says that it is not a good idea.

Wendi: Oh, then it might be best if you found something else to do.

Keenan: Yeah. I will. I prefer to read.

Unless I misheard him, the kid used the word prefer. Cracked me up.

And then later, while playing with his cars, Keenan, out-of-the-blue said: "I love my Mommy. She's my best girl."


How sweet is that?

I also told Isaac that I could give him some cheerios for breakfast. For some reason, Keenan thought I said turtles. He then asked me if he could have some turtles. "I don't have turtles," I said. "I only have cheerios."

"Oh," he started, obviously lost in deep thought. "Well then can I have some turtle cheerios."

I had to inform him I didn't have any of those either. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhh, Wen( and Joia!) isnt that just the sweetest thing for Keenan to say that about Mom being his BEST girl!it makes me cry!! Some day when he is dating and GIRLS become so important, you will cry too and wish he was that sweet little boy again..but how blessed he is to have such a wonderful mother that he is that devoted! And lucky girls in his future to have him feel that way!! he will make a wonderful hubby someday! :) Nancy

David and Lesley said...

I'm proud of you. I don't know how to jumpstart a car or wash a dog, so you are way ahead of the game. :)

TAV said...

ugh. i wish i was more self-sufficient! i could definitely not jump a car. you go, wen!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOVE it! I think every boy feels in their heart that their Mom is their BEST GIRL! :)