Thursday, March 27, 2008

Tall Girl

June, thank you sooooo much for sharing this. Click away to read: Life as a Tall Girl. This New York Times.com piece was written by 6'4" woman. I can't believe how perfectly this woman captured everything I have ever said about being tall. I know some people don't "get" why rudeness bothers me. But she explains it so well.

I am not sure if I ever posted my own tall story on the blog. I wrote this for one of my writing classes in college. How's the Weather Up There? If you have the time to read both of them, you will see what I mean when I say how perfectly she captured my feelings. It sounds like they were written by the same person.

4 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

wendi - you are such a good writer! i laughed outloud!

thanks for sharing!

AW said...

Wendi, you're such a good sport! I can't say I'd be so kind as you with all the rude comments. I'd probably do the whole "spit on their head" and say WET to their weather question, without batting an eyelash.

Which is probably why God made me 5' 2".

Anonymous said...

As one of your "tall aunt's" (6'). I have to agree with you that the older I get the more I am comfortable with myself. In fact, I can honestly say that I wouldn't change a thing about me. I wouldn't be me if I was 5'7". OK, I admit if I could wave a magical wand, I'd drop a few pounds (maybe more than a few :)), but as far as my height - no. This is me. Linda, the tall girl.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee hee. The wet weather comment is hilarious! I'd never have thought of that! Your college essay was great. I'm sure I was one of those who asked something ridiculous about your (and your family's) height some time after we met. Hopefully we were actually FRIENDS by then, so it didn't matter much! I feel like I know even more interesting facts about Wendicious ;-) By the way, does turning your name into something else bother you? I have a terrible habit of doing so (Leslita for Lesley Jones, Tarawara for you-know-who, etc.). They are simply personalized terms of endearment...