On Wednesday, June 18, 2008, I found out, that I was, somehow, amazingly, miraculously, pregnant. Eight weeks pregnant we would discover when my husband did an ultrasound on me upon my return to Eglin AFB. Eight weeks pregnant with a six WEEK old son.
I doubt I have to recap for any of you all out there what a true miracle this was. Three clomid cycles. Five IUI cycles. Four IVF cycles. Twelve negative attempts at a minimum. And suddenly, the biggest surprise of our lives. Something we never saw coming.
We were thrilled when we found out that Elijah was a boy. Thrilled because we thought it would be wonderful to have two little guys of the same sex if they were going to be that close together.
And somehow, today, he turns one. Everyone tells you that time goes by fast. I know that. I believe that. It's just so amazing that the days can feel so long sometimes but the months zip by so fast.
Here is a highlight of where Elijah is at one:
- Making signs for "more" and "all done". We have been working on "please" and "milk" but nothing happening there yet.
- Seems to be saying the word "Ma-ma", "Da-da", "sock", and "ball" but we can't be sure.
- Says "uh-oh" regularly.
- Will run to Isaac's room when we say: "Let's go get Isaac (up from his nap.)"
- Will run to the door where we take a bath when we say let's take a bath. Same thing for brushing teeth.
- Will touch head when you ask him where his head or hair is.
- Plays peek-a-boo.
- Loves to be chased.
- Loves snuggles of all sorts. Will climb up onto your lap just for a hug and then climb back down.
- Uses his pincher fingers well now.
- Brings us books to read. If we don't see him and walk away, he'll throw the book as if to say "Well forget it."
- Has recently entered stranger anxiety stage. Does not want to be separated from Mom for any length of time.
- Enjoys watching videos (when we let him.)
- Enjoys being outside.
- Loves toys he can hold in his hands and transfer to his mouth. His favorites are his hammer, rolling pin, and his little tool bench "pegs."
- Is unbelievably curious. Have a lightsocket, drawer, cup, dish, anything that you don't want him to find in a room. He'll find it and come walking in holding his conquest high above his head.
- Not too interested in getting in the stroller or carseat, but once in will accept his fate.
- Is a bit more interested in Mommy than Daddy (unlike Isaac who was definitely the other way around.)
- Will eat non-stop. Loves food. We have yet to find anything he just doesn't like.
- Likes Scrubs to lick him. Likes to give Scrubs kisses. Likes to play tug with Scrubs.
- Loves to take food and just smash it to smitherines.
- Will turn toward "Da-da" and "Mommy" and "Isaac" you say their name.