Today our little Isaac John is one year old.
It was on October 22, 2007 that I first posted on this blog the secret of our lives. We had been asked to be the adoptive parents of Isaac John. On May 7, 2008 we got the call we had been waiting for and made the ten hour drive to Fort Lauderdale to meet our little boy. On May 8, 2008, I had the great pleasure of introducing our new little boy to all of you who read the blog. We took him home from the hospital on May 9, 2008. On May 11, 2008, Mother's Day, we returned to Eglin as a family of three (four counting Scrubs). And then, on October 6, 2008, a Fort Lauderdale judge made it official. Isaac would be in our family forever.
I won't spend an entire post going on and on about this wonderful little boy. If you read my blog, you know how everyone who meets him feels about him. He is a blessing from God. I look at him, often, and think about how easily Bri could have made him go away. But she chose the hard road and she chose us to be his parents. Our lives were forever changed by those two decisions.
So, he's one. Wow! I am sure those of you who have followed this journey with us have as hard a time believing that as we do. We waited so long for children. And then we got Isaac. And now Isaac is one. Wow!
Have I told you all recently that adoption ROCKS!!!
I wanted to take the opportunity to remember some of the things Isaac is doing in his life right now while we are celebrating his first year on this earth. Again, these may bore a lot of you. But they are here more because this is my online journal and I want to be able to look back and remember some of the things that make me smile.
- Puts phone to ear to talk on it.
- Signs: please, eat, bath, night-night, all-done.
- Has strung together signs: eat-please.
- Waves hello or good bye.
- Flips pages in his books by himself.
- Pounds on the washing machine with great gusto.
- Likes to play peek-a-boo or try to run from us.
- Is sitting longer and longer to read books with us.
- Mimics sounds that we make.
- Says Da-Da.
- Loves to sleep with his Dalmatian and Bear -- one in each arm.
- Says Li-jah for his little brother.
- Says some sort of da for dog.
- Climbs all over Scrubby.
- Will give Daddy kisses. Has yet to give Mommy one.
- Says no form of Ma-ma whatsoever.
- Loves to play in the Tupperware cabinet.
- Loves to take socks out of our sock drawer and walk around the bedroom waving them at us.
- Hides toys in drawers and other obscure locations.
- Other than Daddy and Mommy, his favorite people are probably Paige and Brooke G. He loves those girls.
- Loves his bath.
- Has gone in his play pool two times and seems to really like it.
- Will say, Hi Da-Da whenever he sees JB.
- Loves to watch Scrubs play flashlight (and help a bit as well.)
- Loves to grab little toys and spin them around in his hand.
- Likes Daddy lifting him up to grab the cord on the fan.
- Loves walks in his stroller.
- Gives his baby brother kisses on the head.
- Is very shy in groups but talks like crazy while at home.
- Is obsessed with his Da-da.
- Is eating many different solid foods: vegetables, fruits, and meats.
- Hates green beans from the container.
- Bounces up and down when his toys make music.
- Loves to watch anyone singing on TV.
- Is walking very fast -- nearly a run.
- Is going through an attachment phase. Definitely prefers Mommy or Daddy over anyone else. If it is a choice between Daddy or Mommy, Daddy wins every time.
- Has started drinking a little bit each day out of a sippy cup.
That's all I can think of right now. If I think of more, I will add them to this list.
In addition, I think it is important to remember that today is not only Isaac's first birthday. But it is also his birthmom's 19th birthday. My love for Bri is incredibly huge. Happy birthday Bri & Isaac. The two of you have transformed our lives.
Speaking of Bri, her mother, Joan, is coming into town today to help me as JB is going to Texas for a week. She won't be here the entire week, but she'll be here for a few days -- a great blessing as this is the first time JB has been away from us since we have had both babies. Have a great trip JB and Joan!