Thursday, October 16, 2008

Arches National Park

Yesterday, JB got a nice, long lunch break. I had everything ready to go when he got out around 11:30, and we jumped in the car to head to Arches National Park.

Here we are eating our picnic lunch:


Here are just a few snapshots of what we had the opportunity to see during our drive. As always, pictures just don't seem to accurately portray what you have seen in person.


Here are some photos which include us, along with the beautiful scenery:

Isaac thought taking a picture with Mommy on this log was a great idea. But when we decided to let him sit by himself for a photo, he decided that that was a very lousy idea:


After JB's lunchbreak, he returned for another 3-4 hour teaching session. He got off around 5:30, and we headed to dinner at a highly recommended little local steakhouse. It was excellent! While there aren't a lot of restaurants to choose from here, what we have tried has been very good and very well priced.

After dinner, we had about an hour of downtime in the hotel room before JB returned downstairs for another 8pm lecture. This downtime included the opportunity to watch a bit of the debates. It's so nice that it started at 7pm here. A far cry from the 8pm start on Eglin and the 9pm start for our parents in Fort Lauderdale. Despite the early start, Isaac had fallen asleep midway through his bottle at 7:30pm, and I was out before JB returned from his lecture at 9pm.

Our hotel is very nice, but I must express two key things that really irk me about hotels. The first is when you can hear the people above you. Don't you think a hotel would make sure their ceilings were quite insulated? Every morning around 5am the crew upstairs gets up for the day and gets me up with them. I've resorted to earplugs which I don't like to wear when I am listening for Isaac.

My second major complaint is these mattress pads that are so popular now. They do not attach to the mattress. If you are a bit of a "wild" sleeper like me, you wake up in the middle of the night to find your mattress pad practically curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed. Would it be so hard to have these pads attach to the mattress like we all have at home? I have found more and more hotels using these things, and they are quite annoying.

Good things however include the free continental breakfast every morning and the fitness room where I successfully walked on the treadmill today for thirty minutes while Isaac played in his stroller at my side. Nice!

Right now, it is nearing JB's Thursday lunchbreak. Not sure if we'll had back to Arches or just hang out here together -- we'll see. I'm getting a lot of work done for RLSF while I am here and enjoying just hanging out with Isaac and JB. We are so blessed to have Jodi the great watching Scrubs while we are gone. I hope she is still my friend when I get back.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'll still be your friend when you get back. Scrubs is more laid back this go round. I can see a difference each time I watch him. However, Scrubs will be Scrubs so his little antics aren't completely gone :-). These are to be expected with Scrubby puppy. I'm sure you know much better than I. He has slept really well each night and has woken up at a normal Scrubby time. Sorry, but I've let him take over the sofa at night. He thinks he's sleeping on a heavenly bed! This way I get my sleep as well!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Jodi, you are the greatest! I'm sure he is in heaven and never wants to leave sleeping on your sofa! :) I would have been shocked if you told me Scrubs was antic-less. I'd have thought you accidentally got him confused with another dog. :) You are the best Jodi. See you Sunday.

Amy T. S. said...

Pretty soon you'll have an amazing shelf for Isaac to sit on!

Milton Leeper said...

I have been examinating out some of your posts and i must say pretty nice stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog. Restaurant Frankfurt-Oder