Thursday, October 02, 2008

Locked out!

It finally happened.

Sigh.

I got locked out of the house.

First of all: what is the point of me locking my house anyways? We live on a military base. No one locks their houses. But I guess its the "Fort Lauderdale" that is still in me. I can't give this up. I've tried but still insist on leaving my house locked.

Secondly, I gave a house key to Tiffany, but she had told me it didn't work many, many months ago! I've been pondering this thought for awhile. No one has a key to our house, it's easy to lock myself out, and we don't have a hide-a-key hid anywhere. But did I do anything about it? Nooooo. I didn't regret not doing anything about it either. Until today. When it was too late.

Lucky thing I had baby and dog with me when the lock-out occurred. I thought about just walking to the hospital and paging JB when I got up there. It's 3.4 miles round trip. I can swing that. Only problem was, I would have to enter the hospital with stroller and dog. I didn't think anyone would take favorably to this idea. Well, the stroller might be okay, but the dog is another issue. Don't think my 70-pounds-of-insanity could pass for a service dog no matter how hard he tried. Scratch that one.

I opted to try to page JB from a neighbor's house first. I randomly picked Sarah who happily allowed me to use her phone. JB called me back in a matter of minutes. He told me the window to the living room was unlocked. I corrected him. I had tried that. It was not unlocked. Not that I had completely figured out how I would get my pregnant self through the window if it was unlocked anyways.

So my darling husband drove home in between patients to let his little family back into the house. He had a good attitude about the inconvenience. (Mainly because he got to see Isaac, who, as a rarity, was still asleep when JB left this morning.)

In other news, I am busy trying to get my life in order before we head back down to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday morning. JB has call on Friday night meaning we plan to leave on Saturday morning after he has possibly been awake for well over 24 hours. That should be interesting. I guess I'll be doing a majority of the driving? In addition, John has some BIG presentation tomorrow which he has been working on every free minute leaving me to do the majority of the trip preparations on my own. Not only are we prepping for this trip, but we get back on Tuesday and leave Saturday for another trip out west. That's a lot to think about!

Most of you will be relieved to know that we do not plan to travel, like, well, ever again, after this trip out west. I am done with it. We are going to take some significant time off of doing anything but hanging out as a family on good ol' Eglin AFB.

But that plan doesn't go into effect for another few weeks. Right now, I must pack.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! Hope you can get some rest tomorrow :) Can't wait to see you all!
love ya, mom k

Anonymous said...

Housing Maintenance will let you back in your house! Not that you will carry their number around, but they will come even after hours! They don't have a key. They bring a screwdriver and a crowbar! hahaha

Anonymous said...

what about the trip you have planned to visit us in MN in January? I know that is your favorite time of year...you wouldn't want to miss it! :-)

Erica said...

Ohhhhh nooooo! This sounds familiar!!! haha And I bet you didn't have a hide-a-key because I had to use it, and I never put it back! SORRY! :) Glad you got in, though!!