Sunday, October 26, 2008

National Day of remembrance for pregnancy and infant loss

October 15th was the "National Day of Remembrance for Pregnancy and Infant Loss". I got a note from a wonderful friend this week telling me that even while we were celebrating the little boy we have and the little boy we are waiting for, she was thinking of us and the eleven little sticky babies that we lost through IVF. I think of them often and also the seven we have remaining, waiting for a chance in this world. I will treasure that email as one of the most precious notes I have ever received. For someone to remember that we did lose 11 babies and that yes, they were alive and human beings despite how young they were, was moving for both JB and I to say the least.

To all of my friends who have lost little ones through IVF, through miscarriage, through still birth, and after birth . . .

I wish I would have known about this day earlier than a week late. Next year I plan to follow my friend's lead and jot a little note to those I love who have grieved like I have. No matter how old the life, it is precious, and the grief is real, and deserves to be remembered.

Despite the completely different path my life has taken over the last year, my heart will always be with those who are waiting for their families or grieving the part of their family that they never got to meet. And of course, I am with those of you who are still single, waiting for the direction you had pictured for your life to work itself out. You all know who you are. May the Lord give you peace today and everyday.

2 comments:

The Woodfords said...

Thanks for that post, Wendi. Although I have never lost any of my own babies, there are several close to me who have, and I hurt with them.
I don't know if you are familiar with the Christian group Selah. One of the singers is Todd, and his wife Angie has a blog called "Bring the Rain" at audreycaroline.blogspot.com You might be interested in checking out the post she did on Oct. 15.
Thanks again!
Steph

yuan family said...

Thanks for the post...I didn't realize there was such a day and would have sent a note out to my friends that have gone through some hard times...