Monday, May 25, 2009

What do people do . . .

. . . without a dog?

I mean here is Isaac, eating his dinner, scraps flying every which way. Like usual, he purposely drops some and accidentally drops others.

Normally this is of no concern to me. There is a black spotted four legged pal camped below the high chair, waiting patiently for any piece of heaven that comes his way. Yesterday a piece of chicken came his way. It landed right on the back of his neck. And it stayed there. I am sure eventually it fell off and Scrubs found it, but for many minutes, it remained perched on his neck. He could smell heaven. But where was it, doggone it?

But tonight I wondered what it would be like to have to get out the vacuum cleaner after every meal. Egads!

The reason for my wonder was that our four legged pal was at dog camp today.

We leave for our trip first thing Tuesday morning. Dog camp is in the opposite direction from our intended destination. Therefore it was determined Scrubs would go to dog camp a day early. Since we were paying for the entire day we figured we'd make the most of it. JB and Isaac ventured out early this morning to drop Scrubs off with Pat at Paw paws.

Scrubs loves it there. He can be outside all day and play and then at night go into her house with her to sleep. She feeds him, bathes him, everything ... it's fantastic!

JB and I had to admit that in some strange way, we actually missed Scrubs today. It was eerily quiet, no one (besides Isaac) was underfoot, and the sliding glass door didn't get opened one time. It was as if something was just missing from our life. Of course, JB said his level of missing was somewhere around one percent, but still, that qualifies as missing, doesn't it?

So anyways, I am headed to bed to prepare for an early day tomorrow! We will drive to Nashville, spend the night with Josh and Sarah, spend Wednesday touring Bowling Green visiting old friends, regroup on Thursday with Josh and Sarah, and then fly out for New York on Friday morning. Saturday is the wedding, and on Sunday we will return to Nashville, jump in our van, and make the seven hour drive back here to Eglin.

Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it. Wish us luck. And if you think of it, say an extra prayer for our family. For safe travels and for me to be able to successfully navigate my first trip with both kids.

Until we return . . . bye all!

3 comments:

AW said...

What do people do without dogs?

I don't know. I can say that I don't think I'd be windexing the nose prints off the windows so much. I wouldn't be sweeping up dog hair from the hardwoods so much. I'd spend a lot less on the grocery bill without the expensive dog food.

But then I wouldn't have that tail wacking me in happiness whenever we come home. I wouldn't have that sweet nudge in my knee from a big muzzle when I sit on the sofa. I wouldn't have the safety from wild squirrels, trash trucks and mailmen.

:-)

Bethany said...

What do people do without dogs? They get cats! LOL. While I love dogs, I really love cats. They're much easier to care for, still eat the scraps that fall to the floor, use a litter box, and can fend for themselves. The only thing with cats is that you're their pet. They come to you only if they're in the mood. I can go an entire day without seeing our two because they're sleeping in some secret spot they haven't revealed to us.

I really want a border collie some day (had one when I was little), but I won't add a dog into the mix of cats. The kitties really wouldn't come around me then. LOL

Beth B said...

Dirty little secret? I do not have a dog, and I do not get the vacuum out after every meal! Maybe every couple of days I get the dust buster out, but mostly I just pick up the big chunks and live with the small ones. Life with kids means a few messes here and there, I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Have a great trip Wendi--we'll be thinking of you!