Monday, January 25, 2010

Migraines and showers

Today, I did not get a migraine. Not even a single headache. How wonderful. I was able to go on a jog without my head feeling like it would explode. I didn't need to take a single pill to stop the discomfort. Thank you for your prayers. They obviously worked! Please pray that this continues as we attempt to work out my medication issues.

In completely unrelated news, in addition to experiencing a headache free day, I also learned something new today. I learned that I cannot take a shower while Elijah is awake. At least not while I let him have the run of the house. Today, for the first time, I attempted to take a shower while both boys were up. I have often done this while Isaac is awake but never before while Elijah was awake as well. I didn't plan to try this, but we needed to go to the grocery store, and I needed a shower, and there was no nap planned before the trip to the grocery store. So, I took a deep breath, and then I shut the gate to the kitchen and all the doors in the hallway. That left, well, nothing, technically, that they could get into. I then left the door to the bathroom open and climbed into the shower.

Isaac did as he normally does. Brought a car into the bathroom and went to driving it over all of the cool new surfaces. Elijah, however, didn't take to the idea of me "leaving him" as fondly. He was utterly devastated that I would shut him out of my world. By the time the shower was over, he was completely soaked from continuing to open up to the curtain and stick his head in. I tried, without success, to keep the shower liner plastered against the shower wall. But it's hard to wash your hair while you are trying to keep a curtain from being opened. (Try it some time! Virtually impossible I say!) Needless to say, that strong little goober still managed to weasel his way through. He cried, sobbed actually, while he totally doused himself with water for the duration of my (very short) shower.

From now on, I'll keep my showers limited to his nap times. Or I'll put him in his bed.

Hey. You can't blame a girl for trying.

Elijah sobbed another time today too. That's when I ran the vacuum. Unfortunately, his "minor fear" of the machine has turned into a terrified disdain. I think it all started last week while I was vacuuming and went over a rug. One of the fibers in the rug caught the bottom of the vacuum and the entire machine shuddered with incredible ferocity until I could unwind the string from the vacuum. By the time I had separated the vacuum from the rug, Elijah was beside himself, and I had to hold him during the rest of my cleaning.

Over the weekend, I tried to vacuum while he awake and he lost it. I did a quick job and quickly put the vacuum away. I thought enough time had gone by for me to try again today. Terrible sobs resulted. I brought him into the the kitchen where JB was talking on the phone, but the sobbing continued from John's lap. I guess I am going to have to try and vacuum while he is napping too!

This is going to make for a busy nap time.

Transitioning again to naps, I have decided that I am done, completely done, trying to plan when and how the boys will nap. Today, my short napper, Elijah, took two naps, both two hours a piece. And today, my dutiful napper Isaac, who always takes a 2-3 hour nap, sat in his crib and talked for an hour and a half. When I went in there, he was having a merry time with all of his animals and quickly reached out his arms and said, "Out pease." So much for napping.

I'll end this post by recommending the movie Up. What a sweet film. Not really a kids movie in my opinion. But a great little date movie for JB and I last night. I really enjoyed it.

Off the bed! Night all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids loved Up! (They are 5 and 3). They watched it numerous times when I borrowed it for a week. I have yet to see the movie from start to finish.

The Sims Family said...

Wendi,
I have lost your e-mail and can't find it anywhere on your blog. Could you e-mail me please (amycarol@cableone.net).

We have talked a few times - Amy Sims