Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sports Part 1

I have decided, more for my own benefit but hopefully, additionally, to the enjoyment of people who read my blog, to do a little jaunt down memory lane with my athletic history. I have decided to do this post in a few parts so that the concept is manageable in my brain. I can't promise how quickly they will be done, but nonetheless, I am vowing to do them. Right now I see this being in five parts: high school softball, high school basketball, high school volleyball, college basketball, and coaching. That's the plan anyways.

This is helping me throw away some old photos as well. "Operation Clean-up" is moving forward with great gusto and stopping and scanning photos for this entry has helped me throw away about two pounds worth of old memories that I just can't save forever.

Oh. One more thing. In order to do this, I sort of have to toot my own horn here and there a bit. If I don't tell you, honestly, the history, then there really isn't anything to write about. Those of you who know me know that I don't care for conceited people. I truly believe (and back me up here some of you old high school friends who still read my blog) that I was not cocky -- at least as a rule. But a little tooting might be necessary. Forgive that. ;)

I thought I would start by discussing my softball history. Ironically, this is the first sport I ever played, and here's where the ironic part comes into play, it was also the sport I was worst at. That being said, there won't be much tootin' going on in this post! I don't think I was terrible mind you. I started on most of the teams I played on. I never "rode the pine". But I just was never all that great at it. I swung like a girl. I threw like a girl. And that's how it was.

I started organized sports with county softball sometime in middle school. I don't have a lot of memories of this being as I was so young -- elementary and middle school. I do remember that my Dad coached some of my teams, that I played many different positions (everywhere but shortstop I think). Here are a couple of photos I have from those old softball teams. I know that I played on more than two teams but these are the only two that seem to have survived my clean sweeping.



The school I attended from Kindergarten through graduation: Fort Lauderdale Christian School was, obviously K-12. Softball did not have a junior varsity team so everyone from 7th grade onward there was jut one team. As for school softball, I did manage to snag pictures of the three years I played. Here is seventh, grade. Not the greatest picture but can you find me. Kelly (from Steg family blog) is in here as well, as is my Dad (he's hard to miss).



Check out my bangs! Ugh!


Here is eighth grade:


And here is ninth grade:


Now by the time I finished my ninth grade softball team, I was very involved with volleyball and basketball (more on those in upcoming posts.) I vividly remember my Dad sitting me down and telling me he thought something should give. "I think it should be softball," he said, "Because, well, you just aren't all that great at it." To true.

So after ninth grade, I gave up softball. I never regretted this at all. I wasn't too keen on very hard balls being throw at my shins. It just wasn't my thing.

And that, was my brief softball career. The next post will feature volleyball. I can't promise I'll get that done tomorrow. But soon. So stay tuned!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no mention of you cheerleading adventure??? ;)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

This is just about softball. Cheerleading came on a hiatus from basketball and so, yes, it will be included. Stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Wen,
With all the softball our dads played back in the day we had to atleast give it a try right? Some of my best memories was playing kick the can at tradewinds park with you and your brother while our dads played softball. If I remember right soccer was probably not right for you either. lol. j/k.

Tony B.

Anonymous said...

Cocky you definitely were not! I don't ever remember you playing softball. I do remember trying out for the team my Freshmen year with your Dad and not making it. Sports were NEVER really my thing, but I thought that was my best shot. Oh well... I'm more of an "artsy" girl anyways. :)

Jenny Wilson

Anonymous said...

Wow...those hairstyles were awesome. I, for one, enjoyed when you played softball. You did a great job at snagging all my wild throws :)

Rachel

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tony! Kick the cone ROCKED. Still one of my FAVORITE all-time games. I very clearly remember our fun at the softball park.

And soccer. No. But wait until I get to my coaching days. Did you know I was "forced" to coach it for one year.