Sunday, March 16, 2008

My first EVER baby shower!

A gift from Erik and Andrea -- a little towel wrap that JB decided to try on himself.

We are home from our first baby shower! What a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful evening. The best way to show the events is probably through photos so here we go.


The shower was at Matt and Tiff's house. They did an AMAZING job. Here is the appetizer table in Tiff's kitchen.


Tiff had a framed picture of our ultrasound as well as flowers and this adorable little bear! She also had a picture everyone can sign (I think I am going to take it to my other showers to get more people to sign it.)


Matt rented a smoker and cooked some AMAZING Texas bbq! Matt's Dad runs a bbq restaurant in Texas so this was a real treat. It's the first time I have ever had brisket! Yum! It also happened to be the most beautiful day ever. This was the best day here in Eglin since 2008 began. It was about 70 degrees with sunny skies and a gentle breeze. It was wonderful.


Matt and Tiffany got us our diaper bag filled with all kinds of fun goodies -- things that Tiff said I needed, but I would have never guessed that I did!


Michelle B. got us this "tummy time" gym. I have learned that tummy time is very important, especially to the seven family medicine physicians at our shower. It's nice having good advice and good medical advice at that!


"William Hawthorne" in all his glory. The William normally avoids getting dirty but today, he was all boy, complete with dirt, chocolate, a new bruise on chin, and an old bruise on forehead. Good practice for the little boy in our future.



Here we are with Zach (the birthday boy from yesterday) who wanted to help us open our presents. After we opened the first one, he got bored with the time it took us to look at each piece, and wandered away to play.


Madison proving that "girls can get dirty too." (Although Mom said if she knew how dirty she was, she wouldn't have been as happy-go-lucky!)

A gift from Erik and Andrea -- a dress outfit for the 2+ years. This outfit is so cute and looks just like something their son Johnathon would wear. TOOOO cute! Their other gift was the towel wrap shown in my introductory photo.


Sarah gave me a starter "non-disposable diaper" set. I plan to try this when little XY is a bit older. No promises that I'll be successful or stick with it, but I do want to try it a bit, just to save money and save our environment. So Sarah got me started with a few items. This was the coolest present! I loved it! She also made some burp clothes with sewn on insignias including a Dalmatian.

Erik and Andrea with their son Johnathon.


This picture of Sarah, Della, and Rob (with JB) cracks me up. Look at Della in the background!

Here is Shannon with little "Turbo" Nathan.

William before dirt and bruises and food set in.


Sarah and Della. Isn't that red hair great?

Tristan feeding Turbo.



Zachary saying cheese

I asked Joslyn to smile. She decided to smile right up close and personal like.

I can't talk about my shower without telling Bri that I love her and thank her. It's hard to put into words how having this shower made me feel today. First of all, I went for a long time thinking I would never have a baby shower. Then, I went for a long time thinking I would never have a shower for a newborn baby. When I opened a gift from Tristan & Shannon (tiny little newborn diapers) it really sunk in that little XY will be two days old when we get to take him home and be his forever parents.

I talked about Bri a lot tonight. I haven't seen her since January, and I know that a lot has changed for her. She is obviously more pregnant and as a result, even more uncomfortable. I am unable, truly unable, to put into words what her gift means to John and I. It is so surreal. JB jokes that we plan to "go to store, get gas, and pick up a baby" but that is how it feels. I am not pregnant so sometimes we forget that he is actually, really, truly, going to be coming to our home to live forever. But that wouldn't be the case without Brianna and Chris and their truly unselifsh gift. We are humbled by their maturity in the midst of such a difficult situation.

Thank you to everyone who came and "showered" us with such great food, fellowship, and gifts. How blessed we are -- especially considering this is only the first of many showers to come. Thank you all! John and I still can't believe that we opened gifts for our son. Wow!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendi:

I used cloth diapers with Therin. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You know I am lazy and take the easy route...cloth diapers were easy and if you have some of the right tools it isn't messy at all. Sarah had some diaper liners that didn't let the diapers get all stained. They were great.

I would say use the cloth diapers from the start. I used them from when I started keeping Therin when he was 3mos old until I quite when he was 2.

katie said...

Congrats on the first baby shower! Hey, you know some folks in Cali, maybe we should throw you one out here too. Your baby is going to be sooo loved :) And I'm all for the cloth diapers, although I'm sure that opinion will change once I change a few.

Anonymous said...

How fun Wen!!! What great friends!
Ebby, I'm with you. I only used cloth diapers (except when we went on outings). You'll figure it out. It's nice to have a choice!
Loveyou! Can't wait for our shower here! mom

Anonymous said...

Man, what a fun time I missed!=( was thinking about you guys yesterday... I'm so glad you had such a great time!

AW said...

Wendi, what a wonderful event you had! After so many years of avoiding them, I felt a bit out of place, not just being at my showers, but being THE center of attention at the shower. I cried like a baby at my first one! So glad you had a good time.

And you just don't get any better than Texas smoked brisket! What restaurant does your friend's father own?

Kendra said...

Congratulations on your first baby shower!!! I am so excited for you guys! Glad you found my blog too! Cute name for yours! :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Funky, I cried quite a bit too -- but "under the radar". :)

I think the name of his resaurant is "Ramage Farms" or something like that. I'll have to confirm with Tiffany!

Ebbs, I definitely plan to do it but not 24-7, just when the "spirit" moves me. :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh and a shower in Cali!?! Count me in. Katie, are you my sis-in-law Katie?

TAV said...

CLOTH DIAPERS, JB!!!! Come to Cali! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad everyone had a great time! I hate we missed it!

Jodi

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day, beautiful pictures, beautiful brisket - lovely shower! :) Yay! :)

Rachel and Hans said...

wendi...
i don't have many minutes to use, since we are in mexico, but i just had to comment on this post.
1. it made me teary seeing how happy you were in those pictures. true joy on your face...i LOVED it!
2. as much fun as mexico is...I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE! :-) 3. my mom and i talked about you and may baby on our walk on the beach today. just about how excited we are for you, etc. the usual!
so anyway, just letting you know that people all over the world are thinking about you! i do believe that it was during one of our mexico trips that i was praying for an IVF cycle. how wonderful it is to be praying prayers of thanksgiving for your little boy this time around.

XOXO rach

Anonymous said...

I can't stop crying as I read this -but the tears feel good --and all i need to do to laugh is go back to the one about the banana hammer in MN!! love you dearly Wen!
Tante Jan

Anonymous said...

Wen you probably know this but did you know they have these cool plastic hook type things to hold the diapers together with no pins -i can't believe how easy it is -and cara has great directions by her wash machine for washing diapers -so i could remember how to do it again....but Cara seems to use disposable for the long nites because they are sooo absorbant -less chance of them waking soaked and maybe a good nite's sleep!xo Jan

Anonymous said...

I found myselfwith a tear in my eye and a grin from ear to ear just looking at the joy on your face Wendi. Your time has come. PTL!
Aunt Linda