Thursday, March 13, 2008

Remember Sarah today

Today is Sarah's surgery. Please remember her family today. I just read their caringbridge page. Sarah is already "under" and the surgery has begun.

I wanted to include a small paragraph from their website. This was written by Sarah's dad and was just so beautiful and heartfelt and amazing. As a writer, I love to read good writing, and this was just that. How beautiful of a picture does he paint? Even though I am not a parent, his words seem to make me understand how he and Beth are feeling right now as they await news of Sarah's exit from surgery.

Tonight I made an observation while Sarah was sleeping and I was milling about. Sarah’s room is situated at the far end of the PICU, meaning that any time I went anywhere I had to walk by approximately half the patients in the unit. While Sarah is young, most of the other patients here are far younger – relatively new to the world and yet subjected to terrible illnesses, deformities, etc. In such a bleak environment it is difficult to find anything positive. Yet, for those of you praying for angels to protect our little girl, I have seen them. They sit patiently by the sides of these precious children, whispering words of encouragement throughout the night and keeping harm away. Though some dress in blue, most wear brightly colored outfits with beautiful patterns and cartoons. And, despite the importance of their mission, many have faces younger than mine. Thank you to these angels, who administer love and care for all the little ones, including mine.

No comments: