Monday, August 01, 2016

Review: CTCMath


CTCMath Review

Okay folks. Hang on to your hats. I have found you the most INCREDIBLE math program EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! (Is that enough exclamation points?!) We have absolutely LOVED ... and I mean absolutely and whole-heartedly LOVED utilizing the Homeschool Membership from CTCMath. There is no doubt that we plan to keep this in our curriculum for the foreseeable future. And I can honestly see using this with all four of my kids throughout their entire school-aged years. 

I've tried some other math programs with my going-to-be-second-grade boys, and they eventually get frustrated or bored with the program. I've done workbooks and online programs but have not been able to find something that they both enjoy and do not complain about doing. But there are no complaints when I tell them it is time for CTCMath and that goes VERY far with me.

Firstly, I'd like to talk price because I feel that is what most of us are chiefly concerned with. For one student, this program is about $6.50 a month. A really good deal! If you have more than one student (like I do) the price goes up to about $10 a month which is around $5 per child. But the great thing is, this second price is for up to ten students which means if you have four (like me!), they can all use the program. They can each be in the grade that is applicable for them. I love this!

The first thing I did was set up an account for each of my boys. They can then choose their:
  • Grade 
  • Stream
  • Topic
For example, Sidge logs in and clicks on 1st grade and seen in the picture below. He then chooses the Measurement stream. From there he has five different topics that come up. You can see how much Sidge has done on each topic by the yellow that is highlighted:


Let's utilize my picture below for an example. Let's go to 1st Grade and then go to Space and Geometry and then go to the Plane Shapes topic. Once we get inside that, a new page opens up as shown below. These are the four different lessons available within Plane Shapes. You can see how Sidge has done on each of those lessons. He does not get a passed check until he scores at least 80%. (And I am able to change what the "passed" is set at.) In addition, there are stars at the end of each lessons where the student can rate their own understanding. Check it out in the picture below:


Each lesson includes a short video and then a series of questions. The teacher talks to the student about what they will be doing for about 2-3 minutes. After that, the student answers the set questions and is given a score. Once they complete all lessons they can take a diagnostic test. I, as the parent, have a separate log-in and can check to see how they are doing at any time and at a very easy glance. I even get a weekly e-mail to show how they are doing.

I wanted to take a minute to show you a series of pictures I took. After doing a lesson on shapes, Sidge quickly asked for a paper and pencil and told me that he thought he now knew how to draw some three-dimensional objects. I did not think he was going to be able to do it, but he quickly sat down and did it. (He wanted me to make sure to include all three images he completed in my post so that is what I am doing!)




Folks I am, without hesitation, head-over-heels in love with CTCMath. We do a lot of independent learning in our house, and I always knew that math would be one program that we would do almost completely virtual with a different teacher than me. This program is AWESOME! I seriously cannot say it enough! I'd like to scream it from the rooftops. I am doubtful that I will ever find something that replaces it.

I encourage you to watch this video on YouTube to learn more about this program. It really shows everything much more clearly than I could on this post. Pat Murray, a math professional, is basically their personal tutor! This means that non-homeschoolers can use this too. You can go over the things you are having trouble with at school simply!

Your child can log-in themselves, choose the lesson they want to do (or be told by you which one to do), and take a lesson with their virtual teacher and then be quizzed and tested on it. If you have a lot of children and do not want to teach math -- this is the program for you. And of course, you can always teach first yourself and then use this program to supplement you as well.

The main reasons I love it?
  • It is user-friendly. (The grown-up can maneuver through it without having to get frustrated!)
  • It is kid-friendly. (Both my boys easily logged in and were able to choose their lessons without frustration! And my pre-kindergarten daughter is now doing it too!)
  • It is fun. (This is HUGE for me! Every other math program we have chosen has brought tears and frustration as the program advanced. This one continues to be fun for the boys!)
  • It is independent. I know all parents homeschool differently. I am not a "be-the-teacher" homeschool mom. I am constantly looking for things the kids can work on themselves without needing a lot of guidance from me.
I so encourage you to give this program a try for your homeschool curriculum. It is, so far, one of my most AWESOMEST things we have tried this whole year. Go for it! And take a moment to check out CTCMath on Facebook, Twitter, Periscope, Pinterest, and Youtube for more information.

CTCMath Review

Crew Disclaimer

No comments: