Friday, March 05, 2010

The tree saga

I have realized that when JB gets upset, his vocabulary level goes up in leaps ands bounds. I know that my husband uses words far beyond my level of comprehension. I hear it when he talks on the phone to people at the hospital or gets in a discussion with a fellow doctor.

I just didn't realize that higher level of language went beyond medicine and into, well, trees for instance.

JB realized this morning that the tree cutting people cut down a big bush on the side of our house. We were outside brushing Scrubs, and he saw it. Suddenly the JB who talks to me in simple words became a man I could barely understand.

And I'm an English major!

"I can't believe they hacked down that bush!" he said. (So this statement was simple enough. But just wait. My point will be proven soon enough.)

"What?" I asked. "Was there something special about the bush?"

"Ugh!" JB said and put his hand on his head. "The problem is multi-factorial!" At this point we are back inside and he is walking around the kitchen, looking for the phone, intent on calling the housing office to complain. "Firstly, from an environmental standpoint, there were native grasses there which provided a micro climate for native species."

"Okay," I said, nodding, attempting to stay with the discussion and not get that glazed over look in my eyes that I sometimes do when I don't have a clue what my husband is talking about.

"But it goes beyond that! Reducing the shade increases energy costs around the houses. We also lost any sense of privacy we may have had, little as it may be."

And then he goes, (and this is word for word dictation folks) "I mean c'mon! Give a guy a chainsaw with an antiquated paradigm of aesthetics and he starts shaping plants into haphazard topiaries."

Hmmmm . . . I think that means he isn't happy the bush got cut down?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I agree with JB :)I think....one thing I know for sure, I LOVE the way your write! N

Tiffany said...

This is rather random, but I thought I'd mention this... I don't know if you've ever seen the show "The Big Bang Theory" (a sitcom that features 4 very intelligent scientits who are kind of geeks) but that last comment sounded SOO much like something the biggest brainiac, Sheldon, would say. I would have been so lost in that conversation. :)
~Tiffany~

Joia said...

This is HILARIOUS!!!

Anonymous said...

Hysterical! I think some are just born this way. We get this with my Andrew quite often. The other day we're at the dinner table, and we were discussing how Maddie did on her recent Microbiology Exam at college. I said, "Madeline why don't you explain to Andrew what microbiology means"? Andrew replys, "Mom, I know what it means, it's the study of microscopic life science - duuh" He's 10.
I don't know about you, but, I'm sure I did not know this when I was 10.
Linda :D

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Linda, I hate to say it, but I don't think I could define that when I was 32. Which is hold I am now. Ugh.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I have only seen Big Bang on occasion but I think I know the character you mean. My John. Ha!

AW said...

Hahaha! But isn't smart sexy? Jump on him and give him a ton of hot kisses next time he does it. See what kind of reaction you get. :-D

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Monkey Mama, I laughed out loud at your comment. So did John.