Sunday, March 07, 2010

Manatees

I don't laugh out loud much.

I don't know. I just don't. It doesn't mean I don't think things are funny. I do. I'm chuckling on the inside. Really I am.

But unlike my husband who is the guy in the movie theatre, watching a comedy, hysterically guffawing, I just don't laugh out loud.

Much.

But last night, as my sister-in-law told me about her father, Gene, trying out and making the men's dance team for the Florida Marlins, I found myself nearly in tears. Laughing. Hard.

Firstly, here is Gene, in a photo with my niece, Charleigh:



He grew his beard to work as Santa Clause for the Christmas season. However, that beard turned into his new identity. (It also terrified Isaac when they met about six months ago but that's a whole 'nother store.)

Gene tried out and made Major League Baseball's first all-male dance team, the Marlins Manatees.

And his name is "Manta-claus." Here is Gene (he's pretty easy to spot in his teal Santa suit and beard) in the photo below with this year's dance team:


According to the Florida Marlin's website: Major League Baseball's first all-male dance team, the Marlins Manatees made their BIG debut on Opening Day, Monday, March 31, 2008, at Dolphin Stadium before thousands of Florida Marlins fans. Since then, the Manatees have become South Florida's hottest dancing sensation, appearing in almost every major newspaper around the country and on hit TV shows like NBC's Today Show, CNN Headline News, Inside Edition and more. Led by seasoned dancer/choreographer, Gina Francis of Fly Khicks, the Marlins Manatees are a plus-size group of guys whose age ranges are almost as wide as their waist size. Grooving between innings to everything from hip-hop and rock to disco and salsa, the Marlins Manatees admit that fame is nice, but the reaction they get from fans after each performance, and the camaraderie amongst the team is the best part of the gig.

This is for real! They have weekly practices and everything! Seriously, I can't believe her Dad is on this team. And when I asked AD if I could post about this, she said that it is impossible to embarrass her father. I guess so if he's dressing in a teal Santa suit and dancing between innings.

Laughing out loud here on Eglin AFB.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is unbelievable?! Her Dad must be a trip. :) I wonder if they have videos on youtube.

Jenny