Thursday, March 18, 2010

gas

Yesterday I sold my breadmaker. Thirty dollas on Craig's List. We are trying to sell any unneccessary items in preparation for our overseas move in July. Anyone want a bird cage, a bird play gym, or a pair of roller blades (size 10 men's)? Let me know!

On the way to meet the gal who would buy our breadmaker outside of the gate, I stopped for gas only to discover that I had forgotten my wallet. All right. Plan B. Since the gas light was on, I knew I needed to get some gas. So I scrounged through our coin drawer until I had five dollars worth of quarters.

I skipped the pennies, nickels, and dimes. Good thing. You should have seen the look the gal at the window gave me just bringing quarters. Have we left a cash society or what?

Then I filled up, and I got like, a cup worth of gas. Seriously. It only took about 15 seconds to put five dollars into my tank.

I flashed back. JB and I are dating. He's seventeen. I'm sixteen. He's driving an old car. Barely runs. He could tell you what kind it was. I never paid attention. We want to go to the movies. He's short on gas. We scrounge around in the car and come up with nearly three dollars in coins. That three bucks, I swear, it nearly gave him half a tank.

We did that on more than one occasion. Back then I think I remember gas being under one dollar per gallon. You could go across town and back a few times on the coins in your car.

Yesterday I could barely make it back home on five dollars.

Okay so I am exaggerating a bit but you get the idea.

Five bucks. Not even a tank and a half.

After getting the gas, I met the gal outside of the gate. She handed me thirty dollars in cash.

I pulled away thinking about the brilliance of my logic. Scrounge for coins before meeting someone who is going to give you thirty dollars in cash.

Sigh . . . back to the gas station to fill up for real this time.

5 comments:

Brittny said...

that makes me laugh!! a friend of mine had a brother a couple years older than us and he had to
get gas one night and only had a quarter. guess it worked back when we paid less than a dollar for gas, which i remember doing and don't feel like i'm old enough to be paying what we do these days. it increased WAY too quickly!

Judy Woodford said...

It oosts even more here in Canada, so count your blessings, even $30 would only half fill it here....

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

This is so true! When I was in high school, I could ride around for almost a month I think on $20 of gas- now not so much and I am a SAHM who doesn't just cruise town.

Angie said...

LOL! Thanks for the giggle!!

Anonymous said...

oh this made me laugh! needed that! :)