Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The line

Keith and I were discussing discipline yesterday. Keith brought up the line analogy. "You know," he said as he took a bite of the food we have both been gorging on in recent days -- graham crackers with peanut butter, "that some kids are very content to stand way back away from the line you draw in the sand."

He was talking about Isaac. About his compliant nature. About his incredible listening skills. When I tell Isaac something he either says: "No thank you" (which comes out more like "no-do-do") or he says "otay."

Don't get me wrong, Isaac is not perfect. He gets quite upset whenever we come in from outside. He can get rough with his brother. He can choose to disobey. But for the most part, he sees the line and says: "Yeah, not going near there."

Keith wiped his mouth with a clean burp cloth sitting on the counter and went on. "Then there are some kids who go up to the line. They toe the line."

He was referring to Charleigh. It's hard to tell as she is still quite young, but she seems to fall a little more to the toeing-the-line sort than the stand-way-back-and-wave-at-the-line sort. She's agreeable but quite determined.

I nodded and then smirked. "So," I said. "Where does that leave Elijah?"

Keith smirked back as I answered for him. "I think Elijah is like 'I see that line and I'm jumping over it!'"

Aaaaah Elijah. My teddy bear. He is such a smooshy, snuggly, goofy, silly, loving, ball of fun. I look at him and see the word miracle all over every bit of drool he deposits onto his shirt each day.

But Elijah thinks my lines are just suggestions. He does not think that I am drawing my lines in a good place whatsoever. He really disagrees with their location. And he is determined to jump over them with style.

Have I told the readers of this blog lately how much I love my boys? Sometimes I feel hesitant to say it in case someone who has been unable to have children is reading this blog. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause anyone to feel like I am rubbing my boys in their face.

But it's true. Adopted. Biological. It doesn't matter. I look at them and can tear up in a matter of seconds with incredible love. I love my nieces and nephew. I loved Brianna as a little girl. But the love of these two little boys does not compare.

I have realized it is because it is a completely selfless love. I do not get up in the morning wondering what I will get from them. Even my husband, my best friend, is someone I love for somewhat selfish reasons. If he never contributed to the relationship, our marriage would not be one I enjoyed being in.

But my boys, I love, because they are my boys. I remember hearing everyone tell me that they couldn't explain that love. And I can't. But I love them.

I love that Elijah tried to suck my face last night when I brought him into bed with me after what appeared to be a bad dream. He was looking for his pacifier and misjudged where it was. I love Isaac's big smile. The way he will walk by you and just say "Hi Mommy."

My love for each boy is so different and so unique. JB and I look at Isaac. We love his sweet spirit. We love the funny things he says. This week he has started saying: "All righty guys," in response to my requests. I peeked around the corner the other day as Elijah was disobeying, turning on the TV. I watched as Isaac gently moved him out of the way to turn it off. "No, no, lijah," he whispered and went back to his cars.

Isaac is a studier. An observer. He's careful. He's gentle. He has begun to tear a bit of rosemary off JB's bush and say: "Rodemary Mommy" and then smell it, just like he has watched JB do, every time we go outside.

Elijah, on the other hand, would prefer to take off the rosemary and eat it. That's just how they are. While Isaac will bend down to look at a stick on the ground, Elijah will pick it up and swing it over his head. Isaac is soft and tender. Elijah is loud and rough.

Elijah is the one though that wants to sit on your lap for at least ten minutes when he gets up. Isaac wants a book. Or a car. Or something to do together.

And I love that about both of them. I love them with my whole being. I am so unbelievably blessed to be their Mommy -- even when my day is hard and overwhelming and I feel lost amidst a sea of diapers and toys and arms (and cold noses) wrapped around my legs.

Thank you Lord for these two incredible blessings. I pray the same for the other women reading this -- waiting for their miracle to come to pass.

*****

I also wanted to offer a praise report. Today is one week without a migraine! Praise the Lord! Pray that this trend continues!

7 comments:

Lisa Cronk said...

Very nicely put. I agree that every kid seems different in terms of their approach to the line. Despite our best attempts to draw the line, Austin's response is more like "Line? What line? Oh that thing a few miles back? But it's much more fun to do it my way. Timeout be darned. I'm on an adventure."
hehehe
: ) Lisa

Judy Woodford said...

The grass is greener on the other side of the line... Makes me wonder how often we violate the lines God draws for us...Thanks for sharing that Wendi.

Anonymous said...

Wendi, you say, "I Love My Boys" in every word you write and every picture you take.
Love,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Our oldest, a boy (4.5), is usually very sweet and compliant. My daughter (3) can be sweet, but on her terms and in her own way. I recently have been reading the book "The Strong-Willed Child" by Dr. James Dobson. I have learned lots of helpful tips. It is even helpful for very young kids. Many of our struggles have lessened since I began reading and implementing some of the ideas, mainly my own attitude and immediate follow though on discipline - no "warnings" for her!
Having kids with opposite personalities keeps life exciting and full of great prayer times!
Roberta

AW said...

You know, there is absolutely NOTHING in my life that teaches me more about God's forgiveness and grace, than being a mother of a toddler. My 2.5 year old is smart, super-independent, ambitious and mouthy. He is like your Elijah.

While JK is physically the spitting image of his father, he is my soul mate. He exasperates me daily and I am still so very much in love with him. I know it's nothing in comparison to how I exasperate God daily and I know my love is far eclipsed by His love for me. Humbling, yanno?

Jess said...

This post is great!

My kids, they are pretty much like you describe your kids, but flip-flopped age wise. Too bad, because it makes it easier for Ava to beat the crap out of Ethan. And then sass me about it. Ahhhh, two year olds.

(Though...some of that is that he triggers so easily because of his issues. So it's so! much! fun! to make him scream!)

Janelle Keller said...

Wendi,
I recently started reading your blog after contacting you through email ("hi again!") :) I have to admit everything you say about your boys shows your un-dying love for them. You are a wonderful mother :)
You mentioned this in your blog: "Have I told the readers of this blog lately how much I love my boys? Sometimes I feel hesitant to say it in case someone who has been unable to have children is reading this blog. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause anyone to feel like I am rubbing my boys in their face."
...Well, being one of those women reading your blog and praying to conceive a child, I would like to say (from my perspective) that it is only appropriate for you to express this love (at the top of your lungs, if you must!) despite your audience. Your boys are gifts from God :) And not to loudly express this love (even in your sensitive-to-others blog) would only be an injustice to the true preciousness of your child. Children are blessings (as you well describe). And God would only wish that you not covet this blessing - but share this joy with others :) (Which, by the way, you do very beatifully).
For me, I feel more saddened when I hear of mothers not appreciating the uniqueness of their child. I feel comforted knowing that the children that are here on earth are TRULY being loved by their mothers and fathers and are being appreciated in ways I hope to demonstrate to my own future children. It gives me hope :) (and reminds me that the world is not a cruel place). So revel in it! They are something so-so special, aren't they! :)
Thanks for sharing your stories :)
Many Blessings,
Janelle Keller
p.s. Horray for no migraines! :)