Monday, March 15, 2010

Giving in . . .

I've given in.

From the moment we found out about Elijah, I was determined to avoid two cribs. I'm not sure why. I just didn't want two cribs. They are bulky and big and take up a lot of room. That type of thing. I wanted to be able to roll our pack-n-play from room to room.

Yeah. That was the idea. Not my best one.

Elijah is just getting too big for the pack-n-play. While it's comfortable with the extra padding, he's a big boy. Obviously.

I suggested moving Isaac to a toddler bed. However, and he is right, JB doesn't think this would be an easy transition with the boys sharing a room. As Isaac gets out of the bed as he is learning, he wakes up Elijah, and when we go in to put him back in, Elijah wakes up. Just seems like a lot of stress.

P.S. we try to avoid extra stress.

We could move them into separate rooms, but they like being together. And we like them being together. They are going to be doing everything together for the next eighteen years of their lives.

So, we are going to buy a crib. A used crib. I am hoping to get a convertible (which changes into a toddler bed). Cherry color (if possible.) So if you have one or know someone who does, let me know.

I'm kicking myself because I had a bunch of people offer us a crib way back when. "No," I said. "No. We don't want two cribs." Sorry Gabbi. And all you other wonderful askers.

Not sure why I was so twirked by the idea of two cribs.

But I'm trying to untwirk.

Time to give in.

Time to buy another crib.

4 comments:

Jess said...

LOL...no shock here that you had to give in! :)

It will also make certain that Isaac doesn't see the transition as LOSING his crib to Elijah. Since they are in the same room, I bet that would be difficult.

AW said...

Wendi, we were forced to move JK to a toddler bed because Bubby was outgrowing his cradle and needed the crib. We made a big party out of moving to a toddler bed. (I bought it for $50 from a coworker - it's in the shape of a fire truck, which JK LOVES!!!) But we knew he might take advantage of the freedom, so we made it a big deal...he was "now a big boy" and the only way he could get out of bed was to call us. He's been in the toddler bed for several months and he's only been disobedient less than a handful of times.

Now...I realize this particular "method" might not work for you, but considering how "responsible" Isaac seems for his little age, it might be worth considering. Like JK surprised us, Isaac might surprise you.

Just thought I'd share, because I was dead set against getting a toddler bed. I wanted to move him to a twin immediately. But God provided us something obvious in an unexpected way at an unexpected time.

Kiley said...

Have you thought about just moving both boys to a toddler bed? We have had to move our kids around 15 months to toddler beds because they just didn't feel comfortable in a crib anymore. All of our kiddos went straight to a twin size bed with a guard rail to keep them feeling safe and of course from falling out of bed. They were to afraid to climb out of it, so it helped me from having them get in and out of bed all the time. If your uncomfortable with moving them to a twin, you could always get them two toddler beds. They are low to the ground and come with a guard rail you can take down when the time is right. I know not everyone wants to move their kiddos to a "big boy/girl bed" at that age, but it worked for us in the long run. Just thought I would throw that idea out to you. If you want tips on how we have done it 4 times over, I am glad to help you out.

Good luck on this new adventure.

Kiley

The Mac's House said...

We just transitioned "I" to a toddler bed and have to say that it is going amazingly well.