Monday, March 22, 2010

A blessing from above (and other recommendations)

I have no idea who gave us this book. I wish I did. Whenever I give a book as a gift in the future, I'm going to write a note in it so I can remember. But to all you adopted parents out there, get a copy of this book! What a sweet story of adoption between a kangaroo and a baby bird. If you know someone adopting, this is a fantastic gift to give them. I love this book! Because it is not a "board book" we have had it out of reach. Recently I have decided "to heck with the fact that we might rip pages" and have brought some of these books to the boy's level. This is one Isaac brought me yesterday. Love it! It is called: A Blessing from Above.

I also wanted to share a book that we have decided to remove from our library. While a very cute book, it is definitely not adoption friendly, albeit a classic. Are you my Mother? by P.D. Eastman follows a young bird's journey to find his mother, recognizing that the only person who could be his mother is a bird since he is a bird. We decided that it isn't quite the book for our family.

I also wanted to recommend another book that I recently finished. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. Loved this book! Sad but a great read. Apparently he wrote it via a request for Miley Cyrus to act in one of his books. He first wrote the screenplay, and he then wrote the book.

I also recently saw the movie Facing the Giants. I was wondering what other people thought of this movie? While I enjoyed the message and was especially pricked by the story of infertility that was woven through it, I had to admit that I found it all a little "too good to be true." I thought to myself that if I was watching this when I couldn't have kids, how would I feel? Would I be encouraged or frustrated? It seemed that every single thing that he prayed for instantly came true. While I believe this is definitely possible, I know that sometimes we journey through the valley longer than we intend. Did anyone else see it as I did or differently? I'd love to start a discussion on this movie.

11 comments:

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Thanks for the book recommendations and I agree with you Are you my mother? I haven't seen Facing the Giants yet but maybe I'll watch it this week and share my opinion:)

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved Facing the Giants! I see your point about it being too good to be true...life definitely doesn't always work like that! But I think thats probably why I liked the movie so much -- it was nice to watch a happy ending!

Joy Z said...

Hmmm, I've never thought about "Are You My Mother?" that way. I've always used to it to discuss determination with my kids. I love hearing your point of view on adoption and infertility because it isn't something we have experience with.

Matthew said...

I felt the same way about Facing the Giants. Overall, I liked it, but the infertility storyline reminded me of the insensitive comments received during my infertility journey "you just need to have a stronger faith", or "is everything right between you and God?". The movie just seemed to almost justify those kind of comments. The storyline and ending wasn't hurtful to me as much as I feel it might make others see infertility as such a cut and dry experience.

On the other hand, I can't wait to read your book, Wendi. :)

Anonymous said...

We have A Blessing From Above too and it's perfect for embryo donation - how the baby bird falls into the pouch of the Momma Kangaroo. When I first read it I cried...hard. Now that the boys are able to understand things a little more we've started reading it to them and re-explaining how they came to be our sons.

Max Lucado has a book out too that fits adoption, but I can't remember the title. That one is really long and doesn't hold a young child's attention. I'm not that fond of it. A good movie that deals with adoption is Meet the Robinsons - a Disney movie. I cry at the end of that one all the time too. That focuses more on older child adoption but has a great message at the end.

Bethany

Becky said...

Thank you for the recommendations - I will definitely being adding "A Blessing from Above" to our library. I was at Target the other day and ended up browsing in the book section. I remember thinking I wish I remember those books Wendi recommended!

I first saw "Facing the Giants" right before our first IVF cycle. I actually loved the movie and I don't remember feeling discouraged by it, though I do remember thinking the whole infertility subplot was wrapped up a little too neatly. What really hit me was the message of the rest of the movie which I found particularly applicable to infertility. The message that whether we win or lose, we will praise God was something I needed to hear. For me that translated to whether this cycle is positive or negative, whether we have children or never do, we are going to praise God. Because He is worthy to be praised.

Amy T. S. said...

I have that Are You My Mother and remember it from being a kid, but something has never sat right with me so we haven't read it. Love Blessing from Above, though.

ErieContrary said...

Sooo...regarding "Facing the Giants," I have to say that I completely agree. I was disappointed that they painted it that everything worked out so perfectly. It was a little too good to be true for me. However, as a Christian, I am a supporter of what they attempted to do in the form of a Christian movie, and I'm happy about the idea of clean, alternative-to-Hollywood movies. I hope they continue to make more like this, but I hope they work on their acting a bit and make it a little more realistic.

Anonymous said...

that's too bad you don't like Are You My Mother. I think it is a great book and my kids have so much fun listing all the things that could not be a mother to a bird. This book is about helping kids identify what belongs with what. A bird does not belong with a cat, nor could a cat be a mother to the bird- it would eat it. An object couldn't be an adequate mother for the bird either. Rather, a bird belongs with a bird.
My kids get all giggly at the end and start making up their own words....you are not a couch, or a blanket, or a ball, or a shoe etc.etc.

I liked Facing the Giants, but I agree about the fertility/ending stuff. It was a fairy-tale ending. Not that things don't happen like that, but they very rarely do and portraying it like that just seemed a little....wrong. But, as someone else said, it's nice to watch a happy ending!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Don't get me wrong. I LIKE the book "Are you my Mother". However, because we have adopted, I just don't think it is a great fit for us as it indicates you have to look like your parent to fit. But I think it is a cute and perfectly acceptable book otherwise.

Anonymous said...

I thought "Facing the Giants" was very edifying. The take-away message for me was that the couple at their lowest point chose to praise the Lord rather than the alternative. I have seen enough "downer" secular movies that depress with their attempt to be more "realistic." This movie was a refreshing change.
Laura HP