Monday, March 29, 2010

Jaime saves my weekend!

I try not to be one of those people who believes in jinxes and bad luck. But I tell you what. Every single time I decide to come up and visit JB at the hospital, his pager goes off.

Without TV, we had to find somewhere to watch the UK men's team play on Saturday evening. So we picked up some dinner and met JB in the residency room. He had barely had any action all day and thought he'd get to spend some time with us.

On our way through the gate with dinner in tow, he calls me. His pager has gone off! I kid you not! A patient is coming into the ICU. It is almost comical. "You are never coming up on a call day again," he says. And I laugh because this is his last residency call day ever! Can you believe it?! Hallelujah!

After watching the Kentucky men lose with a gazillion missed three pointers, we returned home, put the boys to bed and went to bed ourselves. On Sunday morning, we saw JB for about ten minutes post-call before Jaime and I packed the kiddos up and headed up to Gulf Breeze. Debbie H. was our grad assistant when Jaime and I played at WKU. She has lived in Gulf Breeze, just an hour from me, for three years and this is the first time I have seen her!

Debbie, me, Jaime

What was especially neat about connecting with Debbie was that she has two little kids herself -- one of which was adopted! It was way fun to share old stories, new stories, and just reconnect. I am hoping to get to see Debbie one more time before we move.

After returning from Debbie's, we returned home to find JB up and working in the yard with Scrubs playing along side him. He put the boys down for their naps while I went and did a 3 mile run and a 3 mile bike. I am starting to wonder if I am capable of doing this triathlon. I only did a quarter of the bike portion and didn't even attempt a swim in conjunction with that. Can I really do all three put together? We will see.

Jaime flies out this afternoon. Jodi is going to come over and watch the boys so we can have some lunch, I can take her to the airport, and then I can go for a swim.

It has been wonderful to spend a few days with an old friend. Jaime is the type of friend you should call when you are going to move or down or depressed or lacking motivation. Last night when we were trying to fit the new crib and dresser I bought off Craig's List into the nursery, Jaime took over. She told me where to put stuff and what to leave until the morning. She is efficient and determined. That's probably why, in 1996, when she graduated from high school, she was voted the best girls' basketball player in the entire United States! She was awesome.

And she still is.

No comments: