Saturday, March 20, 2010

Sprint triathlon here we come!

Did you know you spell triathlon without an "a" after an "h". I don't think I did. But now I do.

That's because I am going to do one.

I have been considering trying to do a shorter triathlon for many months now. And earlier this week I got an email from my buddy Kristi in New Mexico. I am going to visit her in April. And there just happens to be a sprint triathlon we can run together that weekend.

So, I agreed to do it with Kristi on one condition. She had to agree to chart her progress so that we can follow both HER progress and MY progress on the blog. She promises emails that I can put on the blog keeping us all up-to-date on how her training is going in New Mexico along side mine in Florida.

First a cooking contest and now triathlon training. What could be better?

Kristi's husband Lee is a big-time triathlon runner. He has even won races not just run them as we plan to do. He does the long ones too. He's awesome.

I'm not.

But I'm going to do it nonetheless.

So, here is the information on the triathlon we are doing. It's called the Coyote Carrera Triathlon and it will be run along the Rio Grande river. It is on Sunday, April 25. That means we have about 5 weeks to get ready for this thing. Lee just sent us a training guide telling us what we had to do each day.

I guess the rest is up to me.

We plan to run it together and just have a great time encouraging each other the whole way.

The race is set for a 3.1 mile run, a 12.4 mile bike, and a 1/4 mile swim (8 laps in a 50 meter pool).

Kristi feels pretty comfortable with the bike part since she's been doing spinning classes. I feel good about the run part because I have been running. Neither of us feel comfortable with the swim part, but we figure, it's in the pool. If we get tired, we can hang onto the side for a few seconds or minutes ... or hours. I swam four lengths of the pool for my scuba certification. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it really was! This time I have to do eight after biking and running.

I checked into the facilities here on Base. I can swim from 8am until 6pm any day. I can do spin classes on numerous days. I think I am also going to borrow my friend Sarah's stationary bike and get my own bike ready to use as well.

Updates to follow! Stay tuned!


P.S. Yes I know the fonts changed on this blog. What a mess! I don't feel like going into HTML code to edit it and the regular changes aren't taking effect, so oh well.

4 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

good luck! sounds like fun to me!

Kelsey712 said...

my husband did two sprint triathlons last year and this year has signed up for two more sprints, an olympic, and a half ironman. He has become addicted!

Best wishes and you will do fine!

TAV said...

wow! i'm contemplating another half marathon on 5/1 but now might just be inspired enough to commit. enriesti

Joia said...

That's awesome! You both rock! =0)