Friday, December 05, 2008

Boy and Dog

Everyone told me that dogs just seem to "get it" when a new baby pack member comes into the house.

But I have to admit that I had my doubts. When Isaac was born in May, our Scrubby was just one year old. He was full of boundless energy and needed attention.

But everyone was absolutely right. While Scrubs can sometimes knock toddling children over with his exuberance, he is actually much better hanging out with kids then he is with grown-ups. When Isaac is on the floor, it's as if he knows that he has to approach with caution. He always lies down and just scoots over to where Isaac is. While I avoid leaving them alone together, I have gotten to the point that I trust Scrubs nearly 100% to not get too rough. If anything, Isaac will just get a little more licking than I would like.

Now the question: how will Scrubbers do with two little pack members dominating his once peaceful home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how are black lab will do. He'll be just over 2 when the baby is born. He's great with kids now - yes, knocks over toddlers easily, but overall he's very gentle with them. And he adores our litter of kittens - so gentle with them. I think he's gonna love a human baby!

AW said...

Our boxer is the same. He's not an alpha personality anyway, but he just seems to know to be tender with JK. It really is so sweet to see them play together or sit on the dog bed together. Our Maltese on the other hand...well, she's just a "tiny old lady dog," as N says. She's not really equipped to withstand the energy a toddler creates in the house. We just keep them separated.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Scrubs, I continue to admire how well you've done with all the adjustments to your life. You're #1 in my book. If Mommy/Daddy have any doubts I could trade her a few of mine for you and then they would appreciate you even more. :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for saying those nice things about me. You are now my favorite human.

-- Scrubs