Saturday, June 05, 2010

George speaks (about donuts!)


Well Tante Jan. You asked for it. Here's my Dad's take on donuts.

Yesterday was “National Donut Day,” and this is definitely cause for celebration! Truth be told if it weren’t for donuts, I’d probably still weigh 191 pounds like I did entering college. In the annals of college basketball, I’m still in third place - all-time skinniest!

Wendi, the boys, and I stopped at Krispy Kreme after lunch. In honor of the nation’s most underrated holiday, they were offering one free donut per customer. This was cool in one respect, namely FREE! But on the other hand Krispy Kremes are only so-so according to the George Huisman scale of donut value. The so-so part didn’t stop us from eating all four of them pretty quick; Isaac and Elijah never even got a taste, LOL! We did save one for John, but only because we also stopped at “The Donut Hole” for an additional half dozen.

Most people who frequent places like Dunkin’ Donuts have no idea what a really good donut is like. Google the best donuts in America and you’ll find out that the best ones aren’t made in donut chains. On my personal 1-10 value scale (yes, Diane, another scale!) Dunkin’ Donuts merits a 5 at best and that’s strictly because of its accessibility. I wouldn’t “run on Dunkin” if places like Dandee Donuts in Pompano Beach, FL were closer, and Dandee Donuts only rates a 7 on my scale. A 1-5 score means “this donut is just a temporary snack;” while a 6-10 can be a meal by itself. I never look at donuts 1-5 and say, “Oh WOW, I think I want another one!”

But do you really want me to write 5 pages about this? (Yawn) Suffice it to say, the next time Diane and I go on a road trip; I’ll make sure that one of the cities we visit is a top 10 donut city; if the Mad Hatter can celebrate “un-birthdays” then I can celebrate whatever “un-holidays” I choose!

P.S. – John and Wendi went at those donuts like two freight trains; one that left from Pensacola at 7:56 pm and another that left from Tallahassee at 8:32!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you were going to celebrate! There was no celebrating on my end but I did think of stopping by Dandee and getting a free donut to save for you! Miss you babe!

Anonymous said...

George, you crack me up!! I think I may just head to Dandee this morning!! :) N

PS, looks like you are enjoying your sweet grandkids! Its the BEST, isnt it!??? :)

Anonymous said...

Well, the other Grandpa agrees with you wholeheartedly about Dandee donuts! Good thing it's too far away:)
Give the boys a hug for me, George
Love to all,
Mary

Joanna said...

Wendi, your dad is HILARIOUS! Great post!

Joia said...

LOL - loved this post! =0)

Anonymous said...

Oh George did you ever have Jansma's chocolate donuts in South Holland --they were sooo good...in fact when they tore the building down Ed and I saved a brick from the building...i hear that potato was one of the secret ingredients...Now I live right by a bakery and what's beating out the donuts is their unbelievable almond pastry with gooey almond paste throughout! Good thing i have to ride my bike too and from the bakery! I should make a rule -no car runs! Tante Jan PS I had a free Bavarian cream when i bought a cup of coffee at Dunkin just for you on your holiday!

TAV said...

I heard about donut day! funny!

AW said...

Hahahaha! Great post. Love this.