Saturday, January 17, 2009

Indiana Scrubby

Do you remember that scene in Indiana Jones when everyone thinks Indiana has gone over the cliff? They are standing there, lamenting the lose of their beloved Indy, when Indy himself walks up behind them and joins them in their pity-party.

Well it wasn't quite as dramatic as that, but Scrubs and I had our own Indiana moment last night. I let him out to go to the bathroom right before bed and then went into the kitchen to do a few things. I returned to the sliding glass door and began calling Scrubs' name to come back in.

For some reason, and I am still not sure why, Scrubs has become a very good come-in-when-called dog. With all his stubbornness, he will come trotting in from the yard whenever I call his name. So the fact that he didn't come bustling through the door left me a little perplexed. I started calling his name louder, pursing my lips, trying not to be too loud given the late hour, but getting a little concerned that I was going to have to venture out into the cold in my PJs and bare feet to retrieve our pup.

Suddenly I felt something rub against my leg. I looked down and realized that Scrubs was standing by my side, looking out the glass with me. He had come in right after he finished his business and retreated to his bed in our bedroom. Until he heard me repeatedly calling his name that is. At that he had joined me at the glass, waiting for a dog that wasn't outside to come in. I wonder what he was thinking at that moment. What the heck is my person doing?!

I got a good laugh at this and so did JB when I told him the story. Scrubs makes me laugh a lot.

Yesterday, I woke up from a nap on the couch to find him sleeping on the other couch! (Something he knows is not up for negotiation in our house.) He figured, This person of mine is sleeping so much during the day, I just know I can get away with this. He was so cute that it took all of my Mom-discipline to make him get down . . . only to find him back in the same spot when I got out of the shower! Is that a conniving toddler for you or what?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty funny, I love how you describe what he's thinking.But I think he uses your names when he talks to you- "sheesh, Wendi, I was trying to sleep-I only have a few hours before Isaac is awake":)
love ya, mom k

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOVE IT!!
LOL!
TOO FUNNY! :)

Toddler? Sounds like a 7 or 8 year old I know! :)

Jenny said...

"What the heck is my person doing?!"

Too funny! I have a black lab and can totally relate. Scrubs probably knows that you are about to be really, really busy and won't be able to enforce any discipline so like any kid he is taking advantage of it!