Friday, April 15, 2016

The Past We'd Like to Forget


By Wendi Kitsteiner
Reflection hurts. And I have a few spots in my past that make my heart hurt when I think about them.I imagine we all have something like that in our lives. Memories that cause us pain. Either because of something we did or something we didn’t do or something that happened to us or something that we caused to happen to others.
I imagine we all have something like that in our lives. Memories that cause us pain. Either because of something we did or something we didn’t do or something that happened to us or something that we caused to happen to others.A sickness. A betrayal. A death. A disappointment. A mistake.
A sickness. A betrayal. A death. A disappointment. A mistake.
After two years on an Air Force base in Turkey, our family was relocated to a nineteen-by-twenty-one-mile island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Part of Portugal, Terceira Island in the Azores was, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful places I had ever seen. Picture Ireland surrounded by water. Greener than anything you can imagine. Rolling hills. Beautiful volcanic rock coasts. Cows meandering through the streets. Bullfights. A café in every town.
But despite the beauty surrounding me, my heart and body were in unspeakable pain.
After years of infertility treatments, we had a few remaining embryos that we wanted to give a chance at life. I had undergone IVF four other times, but this time, the medications I was on caused me to spiral into a depression. I lost twenty pounds and found myself pregnant and terribly sick .....
You can read the rest of my post at The Glorious Table. 

No comments: