Friday, April 01, 2016

Distraught



Today we will say good bye to Scrubs. So today I am feeding him everything I know he loves as his appetite allows. For breakfast I gave him pieces of ham. For a snack, a cheese stick. And for second snack ... his very favorite. Peanut butter.

Here's a flashback to a video I did of Scrubby loving peanut butter in 2014 when we lived in the Azores. Notice his collar in this video.  I've kept his collar the same size so you can see how much weight he has lost. Scrubby has always been so muscular and toned and strong. He usually is around 90 pounds. He is close to 70 now.

Your prayers today are appreciated. The vet comes at 2pm EST. I have no idea how to do this. We have friends here which has been wonderful as they are helping distract me and the boys.

Here are a few more photos I took this morning of Scrubs and I just hanging out together. He is sleeping more but truly does not seem in major pain yet which is why we are doing this now. We are noticing in his eyes that he is much more tired. He can't make it through the night without having to go to the bathroom. And the biggest thing is that just a week after being drained, he is almost as filled up as he was when we took him in. We promised we wouldn't wait too long which is why we have chosen today. We promised him that he would go out before he was suffering.

Four hours.

This is too hard. I know he is just a dog. But man oh man he is truly my buddy. I had no idea how much this would hurt. I could never have fathomed it.

P.S. And I have had a few people encourage us to get another dog. Don't worry. We are. In a few weeks. I'll post more later but we intend to not shy away from this pain. It's too wonderful of an experience.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. Praying for you and your family as you say goodbye and grieve a beloved family member.

Anonymous said...

We had the same experience with our beloved pet last year. It was far more painful than I ever expected. Peace to you as you say goodbye. I'm so sorry.

MtnGirl said...

So sorry. I can't imagine having to say good bye to a dog - have three. I've said good bye to some cats which was difficult, but I think my dogs will be even harder.