Thursday, November 05, 2009

Somber

I am unable to say very much.

We just got word that the woman on our boat (please see previous post) passed away.

I am unable to say very much because I can´t figure out what to say. I am also unable to say very much because it appears that there will be a formal investigation of what occurred since this is an accidental death. JB and I were the two individuals with her from the moment she surfaced the water so apparently, I will be quite involved in any discussions. They have asked me not to say much more until that can be taken care of. At some point, I will share the whole story. I can say that she finished the dive successfully. The problems began to occur at the surface. Whatever happened was probably not related to a diving accident in the strictest sense of the word.

Needless to say, I do not plan to dive any more on this trip. I am shaken, confused, saddened, overwhelmed, and rehersing everything I did and said a million times.

I was the last person to talk to her alive.

She has two young sons.

The last thing she said to me was, ¨Could you please hold my hand again?¨

Your prayers for her family and all of us involved are greatly appreciated. As JB said, he and his peers are used to this sort of thing. They are, ironically, here for a Dive Medicine Conference -- a conference designed to teach doctors how to handle accidents related to diving.

Talk about firsthand experience.

I, however, am not used to this sort of thing. I have never seen someone die. I saw some things in Africa including people that had already died. But I have never watched someone die in front of me.

At some point, there will be a time, I´ll share more. For now, just pray. I was doing very well being away from the boys. But now, my heart aches for them. I want to enjoy the rest of our trip but am not exactly sure how to do so.

. . . more to come.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wen, I sent out the requests for prayer. You are all covered. Jehovah Shalom. My heart hurts for you....

Joia said...

Oh my goodness, Wendi, I have no words, how incredibly shocking and sad! Praying for you as you deal with all of this..

The Woodfords said...

Praying for you all.

Debbie said...

Oh Wendi, my prayers are with you and the woman's family....

Anonymous said...

I believe God will use this for good in your life & those surrounding you right now. I know it hard to see it at the moment, but he chose you & JB to be in this spot because you ARE His & He will be honored through you! This is indeed one of the hardest experiences and He is with you! My prayers are with you as well! May His peace cover you, JB, her family & all those near & dear!

Anonymous said...

Wow... Will be praying for her family, and for you as well.
Linda

Jennifer said...

I don't even have words to say. I will be praying for you to have peace and for the woman's family.

tammy said...

Wendi, I am so very sorry. I can't imagine how sad your heart must be and what if feels like to have that scene play back over and over again in your head...

As I was reading your words, something really stood out to me and I hope you don't mind that I'm going to share these thoughts with you...you said she asked you to hold her hand "again". Think about that...my goodness, what LOVING comfort she must have found in YOUR touch, in your presence, in you...

I know it will be hard to close your eyes tonight and probably for many nights to come, but it is my prayer that when you do, you'll find some peace knowing that God put YOU there, on THAT boat, in HER life, at THAT moment because HE knew your heart and HE knew YOU would be right by her side, He knew you would hold her and bring HER comfort, love, and peace in her final moments...This woman left our world being comforted in your loving hands and went directly into Heaven being comforted and by God's loving arms. In her last moments she found comfort in you, because of YOU she was loved and prayed for during her final moments of life...If I were this woman or this woman's family, I would find such peace and such comfort in knowing that. I really, really would.

God knew what he was doing when he placed you on that boat...we can't begin to understand it, but luckily we don't have to, HE does and HE will carry you through this very difficult & sad time.

May God bless you & surround you with His love during the coming days.

With love,

Tammy

Heather said...

I'm so sorry. What a difficult experience.

Katie said...

wow... I normally don't comment much on the blogs I read, but I can imagine you are so stunned by all this. I would think your story is very important for her family to hear - I hope you get to share it with them in some way and that it brings them comfort to know she was not alone. It was good that you were there to hold her hand and make her not feel so alone. Praying you are able to make some good of this not so good experience. Can you hop a plane home? I would want to bail as fast as I could! Not sure if that's the right thing to do either...

Jess said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Prayer said for both the woman's family and you guys.

Jess said...

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. Prayer said for both the woman's family and you guys.

Rachel and Hans said...

Wendi,
I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. We are praying for you and for her family.

Shelly said...

Wendi,
Praying for you and for this woman's family. I agree with some of the other comments. God had you and JB there on that boat for a reason.

Joy Z said...

Oh Wendi! I am so sorry. I can only imagine the grief you must be going through right now. Please know that I will keep you and her family in my prayers. Love to both of you there!

AW said...

What if...just what if...the reason you had to go through the pain of learning to dive was to be with this woman in her last moments? Not just for her...but for you?

I know this has changed you and that you'll never be the same after that. I'm praying that Our Father walk through this holding your heart in His hands.

LOVE YOU, LOVE YOU!!!

Andi

crazystegmamaof4 said...

How incredibly tragic. I cannot even fathom this nor put into words how sad this is. Praying for you all....

Mom E said...

Just read Joia's blog and read the 2 links to your blog. I am lifting you all up in prayer.
Kathleen (Philip's mom)

Kathleen E said...

p.s. I meant to write Kathleen E. and automatically wrote Mom E like I do on Joia's blog. sorry about that.