Sunday, November 29, 2009

A few more recs

BOOK: Redemption By Karen Kingsbury This is the first in a series by Christian Kingsbury. It was a great read -- similar in theme to the movie Fireproof with Kirk Cameron. The idea that love is a decision. It did slip into some "corny Christian" moments if you know what I mean but overall, it was a really good read that I didn't want to put down. However, I am a bit disappointed because it appears the next book in the series switches to the viewpoint of a different member of the family. A bit of a letdown when I felt very intertwined in Kari's life. This book did include a pregnancy, however, I don't know if it is detailed enough to cause those struggling with infertility not to read it.

MOVIE: Vantage Point We watched this last night. Great thriller that I didn't have to work to understand like you do in some action movies. There was some violence and some language but no other inappropriate content. A good, fast-paced, easy watch. Matthew Fox and Dennis Quaid were in it too. You can't go wrong with those two guys. Totally infertility safe.

MOVIE: Dan in Real Life So we watched this again the other night. I've seen it many times. It is in my list of favorite movies ... those movies you can watch again and again. There is some inappropriate content. It is definitely not a kid's movie. But it is a really fantastic "non-typical" Steve Carell movie. I have talked to a few people who had a totally opposite take on this movie. But JB and I both love this romantic comedy which pictures a family as it really is. Lots of family included but no real infertility alerts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you hang in there with the Redemption series, you will enjoy it. If I am not mistaken, there are four or five books in the series, and there is a spin-off series (Sunrise) and another spin-off series (Above the Line). One of the families featured in the Sunrise and Above the Lines series is patterned after her own family, which is neat.
Laura

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected-there is actually another spin-off of Redemption series which occurs before Sunrise: Firstborn.
Laura

Anonymous said...

I just saw an oldie --Fun w/ Dick and Jane --...it was nice to see a laugh outloud movie!....usually Jim Carrey is a bit over the top for me but I LOVE him in this one...and the gal acting w/ him as his wife (forget her name) is sooo good! tante Jan

Anonymous said...

the redemptioin series is amazing..and continues with the sunrise series the first born series and currently the above the line series...all of her book are amazing..even for those who are not "corny christian at heart" such as myself - there are a few life lessons you can take away