Monday, November 16, 2009

A fly on the wall

I made it. Made it through JB's Sunday call. I try to have a good attitude when JB is on call even though I miss him like crazy. Miss him and miss his help just as much. I usually do fine all day. But about 5:30, when the crazy evening hours kick in, I really, really, really start to miss him.

A lot.

A fly on the wall in our house between 5:30 and 7:30 last night would have seen some interesting things.

  • The fly would have seen me flip a spoon of carrots out of a baby food container all over our carpet.
  • The fly would see Mom's feeling of success when she realized that Joan's recipe for "Tex Mex Something" was a big hit! Yay for food everyone likes.
  • (And yes that means I actually really, officially, cooked!)
  • Then the fly would have also seen what a mess "Tex Mex Something" makes.
  • Next the fly would have seen me forget that I didn't strap Elijah in when I put him in his chair. So when I took his tray off to get him out, I turned around for one second to set the tray on the table, and then remembered he wasn't strapped in and turned around just as he tumbled into my arms.
  • (At this point, even the fly would be breathing pretty heavily.)
  • The fly would have witnessed bath time.
  • Mom catching Elijah just as tried to stand up (again) and nearly knock himself out on the back of the tub.
  • Then the fly would have seen Isaac trying to stand up because he saw Elijah do it.
  • Mom would then try to explain why Isaac understands what "not standing up" in the tub means even though Elijah is still pretty clueless.
  • Then the fly would have seen Isaac decide that a good time to pee in the tub would be when it is completely empty and Mom is drying off Elijah and getting ready to take him out.
  • I wonder if the fly would have laughed along with Elijah (okay and Mommy too) at that one.
  • The fly would have seen two little naked boys make a mad dash for their room.
  • I'd explain to the fly that this is the best way I have found to give the boys a bath at the same time. Dry them off and let them go, then race behind them, lotion them up, and put diapers on them before anyone else decides that this would be the perfect time to go to the bathroom.
  • I then put on pajama tops only so that I can change each boy into their thicker overnight diaper right before bed without taking off and putting back on those tight pajama pants. Brilliant, huh?
  • Then the fly would have witnessed Mom needing to go to the bathroom and both boys wanting to go with only to have Isaac open a cabinet door and hit Elijah in the forehead with enough force to throw him backward into the side of the tub.
  • Loud noises!!!
  • The fly would have wondered where Scrubs was. Look back in the dining room, Mr. Fly. Scrubby is still in there searching every crack and crevice of the booster seats for more "Tex Mex Something."
  • Scrubby liked "Tex Mex Something" even more than the boys.
  • But Scrubby likes everything.
  • Except peppers. John couldn't trick him with peppers.
  • Next is a time-out for Isaac for running his big car right into Elijah's nose. Only Isaac was actually excited to go to time-out. Ran the car in and then turned around to walk himself onto the rocker in his room.
  • Note to self (and fly): come up with a less popular place to have a time-out.
  • Oh and then, for the eighteenth time that day, Elijah managed to get himself stuck somewhere. This time it was underneath the dining room chairs.
  • I would have laughed hard if he hadn't have been crying so hard.
  • At the end of the night the fly would have seen Isaac give Elijah a huge kiss and say "night-night." Isaac would then put his finger into his dimple and say "SSssssh" before Mom put both boys to bed and curled up on the couch with a book.

And then this morning, the fly would have seen JB wander home, bleary-eyed, before eight this morning for some family time!

That's our last call for the rest of this year! Yipeee!

9 comments:

AW said...

I love, love, love this post. Mostly because I relate to it all too well. LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

I'd say you have one pretty exhausted fly! (but would have liked to have been there, too):)
love,
grandma k

Laurie said...

I can so relate to these stories...I have many "fly on the wall" stories. I empathize with you! You're a great mom and moms like us appreciate stories like these. I take nothing for granted, not one second, because I know what a miracle it is for me to have my boys! Love reading your blog!

grama di said...

I can certianly vouch for bath time! I would never attempt that without help. Elijah is slippery and quick and you cannot blink. If I would have gotten them out of the tub here, I have a feeling one of them would have headed for the steps! You are a pro lady!!! One week had me exhausted.....I pray you get a nap daily!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm exhausted just reading that story. Although it does bring back some good (and bad) memories. The bad one was when Madeline "stood up" in the tub and slipped and hit her front tooth on the edge of the tub and knocked it loose. Dangling by the roots, we rushed her to the dentist, who pushed it back into place and said, "we'll know in a few days if it's dead or alive". After much praying, it was alive!
I love Motherhood.

Linda :D

Anonymous said...

love this...! tante jan babysat my two girls yesterday to give Cara a break...now headed to NC to see the other 3 and hopefully give Hannah a break :) Thought we'd celebrate our 31st anniversary this year -now you know you'll be crazy when a gramma (you're actually sane right now!)

Judy Woodford said...

Fun to read, go Wendi!

Judy Woodford again said...

I would like to be the fly on the wall while Keenan is there...=)

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

AWESOME post! You should so write children's books! I could just see the pics for the this one!

Time out should def. be a less popular place! Try a hard floor area, corner maybe, looking at the wall. We always did the middle of the foor. They didn't like that they could see everything but not touch anything or move.
Enjoy those boys...they are getting so big!