Thursday, September 10, 2009

Grampa & Grama

Been thinking about my Grama a lot the last few days. And with Grama, I've started thinking about Grampa too. Lots of fun memories. While my parents moved to South Florida before I was born, and we only lived in the same city as my relatives when I was four and my parents returned to Illinois for a year, I always felt extremely close to all four of my grandparents. (My mother's parents are still alive and living in Michigan. I will get to see them at Grama's wake and funeral.)

Grampa and Grama would come down to South Florida to visit us nearly every year when we were young. And we usually made at least one trip up there each year to visit family. I would also go up for summer visits when I was younger by myself and stay with my Grampa and Grama. My Grandparents had sixteen grandchildren but only three girls, and I was the only girl for quite some time. That always made me feel special.

My thoughts have taken me into many old memories this week. Here are just a few:
  • I remember playing UNO and Spoons with Grama and Grampa when they would come to Fort Lauderdale for visits.
  • I remember one of the years they came down for Christmas. Fort Lauderdale had record temperatures that year. It actually got below freezing. Unfortunately, the electric company could not handle all the people who wanted to use their heat at the same time, and many people spent days without heat. Including us. We moved from room to room in our mobile home so that we were always in the room that was facing the sun. But Grampa didn't care. He sat in the recliner in the living room the whole time in his coat and hat and socks doing his crossword puzzle. If we asked him if he were cold he'd just laugh and keep puzzling away.
  • I remember my Grama making me stand on my bed every single time she came to visit us in Fort Lauderdale so she could give me a polite lecture on how short my shorts were. "Have you ever heard of Jamaican shorts?" She would say each time, as if we had never had the conversation before. I would stand there and nod and wait patiently to run off and play again. We did wear our shorts short but it was Fort Lauderale and I was like, nine.
  • I remember Grampa fishing in the lake outside their condo. He loved to fish.
  • I vividly remember my Grampa and Grama's condo in Illinois. I remember this condo so vividly. Grama moved out after Grampa died in 1995, but I can still remember the smell, the colors, the games she had, the TV, the table in the kitchen. Everything.
  • Soybeans. I remember soybeans. I remember asking my Grama for a snack and her giving me a papercup of soybeans. This was not a joke. Grama was incredibly healthy. They called her huge sons the "wheat germ" boys. She was famous for her healthy foods.
  • I remember that when my Grama was healthy, she would always serve her sons. I remember her trying to take off my Dad's shoes for him when he would come into the condo. He always told her to stop that. That he could take off his own shoes.
  • I remember the stuffed dog that sat next to Grampa's chair in the condo. Grampa would tell me it was the best dog he ever had. "Stay," he would say and then turn to me. "See. Perfect dog."
  • I can remember Grama's prayers. I remember calling her during one of my infertility treatments. I was dealing with unbearable migraines and insomnia and was near the point of breaking down. I called Grama. She prayed. I felt better.
  • I remember Grampa aging. His hands shaking. I remember my Dad having to deal for him when they played cards. That was the last time I saw him. The summer before my freshman year of college. He passed away that December. I can remember my Dad hugging him good bye. We both knew it may be the last time he hugged him.

There are many more memories. And even more for my cousins who lived in Illinois and spent many more days and holidays with my Grandparents. This is the way it is supposed to happen. Grandparents are supposed to go first. Grama lived a long life. I'm just going to miss her. I'm going to miss her prayers and her cards and her phone messages. I know she doesn't miss us right now. I know she is enjoying every second she is spending with my Grampa. But we miss her. I look forward to celebrating her tomorrow.

I am leaving very early tomorrow morning. I've continued to debate bringing Isaac. I so want him to come. But I know it isn't in his best interest. Joia will have them tomorrow and JB over the weekend. I'll return Sunday afternoon. Not sure when I'll blog again. Your prayers for safe travels and well-behaved boys would be much appreciated!

5 comments:

mom h said...

Wendi, that was precious! What sweet memories and tribute to 2 special people! We are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and the rest of the family. There will be tears I'm sure but what a celebration! I think it will hit 'home' when we get there that she's really gone. It's been so long since I've been up there, I can't imagine it w/o her there. Loveyou! Thank you~

Leah said...

I stumbled across your blog today and your story is really amazing. I relate to so much of what you've said here. I look forward to following your blog. :-D

Anonymous said...

I would say take him especially if there relatives who have not seen him. I went to my Grandpa funeral on my dad's side in Nov 2006 and most of my mother's brothers and sisters came also. They got to meet my youngest son and I am so glad they did because in January of 2007 my mom's eldest brother passed away suddenly. Then my dad's mom passed in April of the same year and then her youngest daughter also passed at the end of 2007. So there are at least three relatives who got to see and meet my youngest who won't have been there at Christmas which is our usual time to make a trip to California.

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

This is such a sweet post Wendi. I enjoyed reading your memories with your grandparents. I haven't played spoons in a long time but it is a fun game. I know you miss them!

Joia said...

This was such a sweet post... Philip and I laughed at several of the things (the heat being off, the short shorts, the stuffed dog) =)