Saturday, September 26, 2009

Snakes and Scuba

My adventures with nature began long before I got into the scary ocean this morning. My adventures began an hour earlier. On my way to take Scrubs out to the front yard for some Frisbee (in an effort to wear him out before the babysitter showed up), I happened to find this "little critter" sitting by the front wheel of our van.

Thank goodness I have been training Scrubs to wait to go outside until he is given permission to go outside (instead of busting through the door and nearly knocking me over like he used to do.) If so, we could have had a very sick (or even dead) dog on our hands. Instead, I saw the snake, slammed the door, and like any wife who is married to a man in love with anything having to do with nature or the wilderness yelled, "SNAKE!!!!!"

Actually, now that I think about it . . . I don't think it would have mattered if my husband was interested in snakes or not. He's a man. I'm not. It's his job to take care of a snake. Right?

JB came running. Not out of fear mind you. Out of sheer excitement. This guy loves snakes! Loves animals. Loves anything nature related. JB is "on call" at the hospital if anyone ever comes in with a snake bite. He is currently working on a research project with some of the rangers on base who work with snakes which will test people's ability to recognize poisonous snakes in the wild. We used to have four snakes for crying out loud. (What was I thinking?)

He took one look at the snake and informed me that it was a juvenile cottonmouth which is poisonous. Great. A poisonous snake in our carport. Ugh.

He grabbed a metal bucket and managed to secure the snake underneath the bucket. He then grabbed the keys to the shed and emerged with a secure Tupperware container with holes already poked in the top. (Do you think he has done this before?)

We then had a brief conversation which included me asking him what he was doing, him telling me that he was going to put the snake somewhere safe until he could bring it to the ranger-snake-guys, and me asking him why he just didn't kill it. I should have known better than to ask John that. He looked at me like I suggested we kill a close family member. "Why would I kill it?" he asked. "Because it's poisonous," I replied. "So because he was born with venom, he has to die?" he asked me.

I knew from the tone of his voice that I had majorly insulted him -- and I quickly flashed back to the time that I drowned two little lizards stuck in our bathtub because I didn't know what else to do with them. That had not gone over well. "Lizards?!" he had said when he saw them floating in the bathtub. "They kill bugs! You don't kill lizards!!" And my suggestion that I kill the snake did not go over well either. It was then that my dear husband informed me that we could only kill cockroaches and flies. Nothing else. Reptiles were completely off limits. Even if they could kill us.

"All right. Fine. Keep the poisonous snake. But lock it in the shed," I compromised.

(He did.)

Needless to say, by the time the babysitter showed up, I wasn't exactly in a mellow mood. And now it was time to breathe underwater.

Was I dreading it? Actually, yes. All week, I kept wishing Saturday wouldn't come. I was not looking forward to it all. I was scared. I was nervous. And I didn't want to try to get that wet suit on again.

So, the question everyone wants an answer to. How was it?

Many people had told me that the first time you go underwater, all your nervousness and worry fades away amidst the glorious expanse of the ocean. That the beauty of God's magnificent underwater creations erases any nervousness one has about doing what we were not designed to do. (Breathe underwater.)

That did not happen to me.

Our instructor had told us our two dives would be low visibility. What he didn't tell us until we got there were the details.

We were diving in a bay that was ideal for a "first dive" because it was over 20' deep and the water was very calm. All right. That sounded fine.

What he didn't tell us was the other reason why it was ideal.

"If you can dive here," our instructor said as we made our way into the water, "You can dive anywhere."

Huh?

In other words, this would be the worst place we ever dive. The visibility was, seriously, four feet. I was holding JB's hand, but I couldn't see him. I couldn't see anything. The idea I guess was to scare us at the beginning. Give us the worst case scenario and see how we do.

Hmmm . . . I wasn't too keen on that plan. And I told our instructor so. (In a nice way of course.)

But, I didn't freak out. I stayed calm. And I made it. I am one day closer to becoming scuba certified.

The moment I went under the water, I felt myself at a crossroads. I could do what would come naturally: panic. I could freak out and say I couldn't do this and make a total fool of myself. Or, I could trust John.

So that's what I did. I decided to hold his hand, let him guide me, and trust that I would be okay. I concentrated on breathing regularly (the most important rule in scuba diving) and staying neutrally buoyant (floating properly in the water which is achieved by inflating or deflating your BCD). I held onto JB and let him guide me. (Or drag me as he told me later. I guess I forgot to swim sometimes.)

I accomplished all the tasks required to continue toward our graduation tomorrow. I flooded my mask. I cleared my mask. I did a controlled ascent. I did a controlled descent. I swam around for twenty-five minutes. I did my "injured diver tow." I took my weight belt on and off. I took my BCD on and off. I cleared my regulator.

But I'll be honest. I did not enjoy it. Not really any of it. As we were driving home, I asked JB if he had fun. I was worried that he was going to say he had the best time. If so, I was hopeless. But he told me that that was not a fun dive. It was a dive to meet our requirements and get us comfortable with bad conditions. It was the worst dive he had ever been on as well. It wasn't a dive designed to have fun. Okay. Good. At least I got that part down. Because I did not have fun.

Tomorrow we will do our last two dives in the ocean in Destin. It is supposed to be beautiful and truly fun and enjoyable. (That's when I am supposed to see the sky open up and realize what I have been missing all my life.) Tomorrow will be a true test as to whether this sport is for me. As a few of you suggested when I asked for advice, just because I take the class doesn't mean I have to be a diver or ever dive again. But I am trying it. And honestly, diving has always been something I have been terrified of. So I am proud of myself. And JB is proud of me which is really cool.

At least I know tomorrow will be easier. And that I'll hopefully get to see at least one cool fish tomorrow. Today, all I was saw was mud and sediment.

I can only go up from here!

11 comments:

Joia said...

I CANNOT believe that snake was in your carport! Freaky!! So, has it left your shed yet??

Way to go conquering the "worst scuba situation ever"! I hope tomorrow is a BLAST for you! Will there be any pictures??

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Joia, we did take pictures but they are on an underwater camera which is not digital so when we finish the roll tomorrow, we have to get them developed. But yes, eventuallY!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh, and no, the snake will be there until Monday when the rangers are back on the job. Ick!

Kelli said...

Eeeek! I don't know what we would do if we found a snake - neither dh or I would even fathom trying to capture it...so glad you had JB to rescue you!

Hope tomorrow is tons of fun! I think that might be something I'd like to try one day...

TAV said...

I HATE SNAKES and Spiders!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! Conquering your fears. I hope you have that glorious "awakening" into the underwater world that you've been missing all your life. :)

OH, AND I HATE SNAKES TOO! Madeline won't even go in the Snake House at the Zoo, or walk down the snake/lizard aisle at the pet store. EEEK!

Linda

Becky said...

I am totally with you Wendi - I would have wanted to kill that snake also. I HATE snakes! And spiders.

I really admire you for conquering your fear and giving diving a try. I have always been afraid of diving - not sure I could be as brave. I hope today turns out to be a wonderful time.

David and Lesley said...

I can totally hear John saying that about being born with venom. Hilarious! :)

Anonymous said...

okay what is it flies and cockroaches are born with that they deserve death, but a poisonous snake doesn't. I was about to be touched when you decided to just trust John in diving, and as saying, "awww..." when suddenly i thought, "she's trusting someone who won't kill a poisonous snake?" ;0 Seriously, we had awful spiders in the village -huge, and that was the rule too -don't kill 'em they eat mosquitos...after getting malaria i began to think those spiders were pretty cool!
Mosquitos you can kill -whether you know first if they are malaria or dengue fever carrying or not! I bet John would want us to check first so those innocent mosquitos who don't carry those diseases could still live!
Enjoyed this blog (and the Spot blog above it!) waiting to hear about your good dives!

Anonymous said...

Wen, I can just hear JB say, " So, he has to die just because he has venom???"
Sometimes his reasoning is suspect.....
I congratulate you on the scuba diving. You SHOULD be proud.
Can't wait to hear how Sun. went.
Joan

Joy Z said...

OK, I actually read this when you first posted it, but I didn't have time to type out my comment and I just now remembered that I really wanted to!
JB and Vic could be "bosom buddies" - if guys had such a thing. ;-)
Anyways, I just had to tell you about what happened to us within days of your story. We went camping with some friends out at the Blackwater River. Little Victor falls INTO the fire pit and burns his leg. (I will stop now to let you know that he is ok, just got a nasty burn on one leg. It is actually a miracle from God that is wasn't more serious. He was on his hands and knees completely in the fire!) We debate about whether or not he needs to go to the hospital. We finally decide that we think he doesn't but since we are only 30 minutes from home we would go ahead and take him home at least for the night and see if he is better in the morning. He is in a terrible amount of pain and the only thing that helps is to pour water over his leg. So, with the help of our friends, we get him set up in the back of the mini van with his leg hanging over an ice chest so that I am able to continue to pour water over his burn. We start to head out. We get a mile or so down the road and Vic pulls over and starts to turn around. A snake is in the middle of the road he informs me. I am begging him not to turn around but he proceeds to tell me that it is his duty to save the snake from sure death. Oh yeah, and it's an eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Great, I'm thinking here I am trying to help my son and my husband is going to get bitten by a rattlesnake. Thankfully it was already dead. He gets back in the van completely sad and disheartened. What a shame he says. I am happy on the inside when he share the news. Oh yeah, and then he told me, "remember,this is what you love about me." Uh-huh

So, there you go. JB isn't the only one. There are other crazies in the world and I am married to one of them. :-)

Oh yeah, and I showed Vic the picture and without even a half second look, his eyes get wide in amazement as he says, "Cool! A Cottonmouth! Who took that picture? Do they still have it? Sigh...

He does let me kill black widows and fireants though, along with the roaches and flies.