Monday, September 28, 2009

Scuba Day 2

So . . . day 2 of Scuba.

I am happy to report that I am officially scuba certified. JB is, of course, recertified as well.

I am sad to report that my experience on day 2, however, was nearly worse than my first.

Low tide came in at 3am. So our only choice was to scuba at high tide. That was about 4pm. Unfortunately, the current was inconceivably strong. We were fighting against it the whole time. We have to complete certain tasks to be certified and it was all we could do to get to a spot on the bottom and complete one before someone got caught in the current and dragged ten feet backwards.

I was so frustrated. I was thinking to myself, "I will never do this again." JB basically had to pull me from spot to spot. One of the instructors gave me more weight to try to help me from floating away. JB was frustrated too. Not at me but at the situation. He was trying so hard to help me fight the current that he was equally exhausted. The instructors were frustrated. Everyone was frustrated.

The current was so bad that at one point the instructors said we just couldn't possibly finish our certification there. They said we'd have to go back to the murky waters of the bay we had been at the day before. I almost started to cry. Get out of all our equipment, walk ten minutes back to our cars, load up our cars, get back in our cars, drive to a new location, and suit up again to get back in that low visibility bay. Oh my goodness! Thankfully, we found a spot that was a little less strong and managed to finish up in the ocean.

John was disappointed that I didn't get to experience diving. He said that these were the two worst dives he has ever been on. I have told him that while I did not really enjoy myself and I nearly broke down in tears, I am determined to give this sport a fair shot. So I'll scuba at least one day in Mexico. If we have a beautiful day with perfect conditions and I still don't enjoy it, then I'll know. But I figure I can't quit before I even get a chance to get started.

Either way, I am certified. Go me!

7 comments:

ErieContrary said...

Congrats on the certification!!! That's quite an accomplishment!

Anonymous said...

Mexico will be amazing! Congrats on the certification, Wendi.

yuan family said...

Congrats Wendi! Those conditions sound terrible so I am sure you will enjoy it in nice conditions. I would never have done it like that...so awesome job for completing it!

Lisa Cronk said...

Congrats! I just did SNUBA (combo of snorkeling and scuba...basically you have your air tank on a little raft on top of the water that you drag along and then a long hose so you can go deeper than snorkeling but not have to be scuba certified). Anyway, I just did SNUBA in Hawaii and it was AWESOME! The clear water and amazing fish were remarkable. I hope you get to experience the beautiful part of scuba on your trip. You sure earned it!
: ) Lisa

Sweetlove said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so glad that you were able to complete the certification. Hopefully, you will have one dive under nice conditions and get hooked. Way to be a trooper and stick it out

Becky said...

Congratulations!!! I am so proud of you! I hope it is wonderful when you go in Mexico.

Joia said...

Seriously, after all that, And still determined to give it a try - how could you Not love it in Mexico?? =) You GO!!