Friday, September 25, 2009

Twelve years old

Me and Bri -- Christmas of 1990. I was about 13.


Eighth grade class trip to Epcot with Kelly who I have known since I was a baby.



I think this was my birthday party in fifth or sixth grade? It was at the bowling alley and I am playing with this ball that sticks to these suction cups.


Have I told you all lately that I really love this Bible Study I am a part of at the Methodist church in Niceville? (Although I did miss yesterday due to our little sick boy.) It's fantastic! A huge thank you to my new friend Robyn for inviting me!

All right so right about now you are probably wondering what the heck the Bible Study has to do with the pictures I included above.

Hang with me. I'm getting there.

We are studying Esther. In the Bible Study that is. Last week, we started talking about how amazingly overwhelming it would be to be thrust into a harem of women and have to be judged on your beauty. Not only that but Esther was well liked. Not just by the eunuch who guided her and the King, but by the other women as well. She must have been one incredible gal.

That led to a discussion in our small group about our own insecurities as women. I remembered something JB always says. That in our minds, when we look in the mirror, we all still see ourselves as if we were twelve years old. JB often jokes that he sees the chubby little boy in corduroy pants. What do I see?

Rewind a bit. Back to middle school.

Not exactly twelve mind you. But you know the general age. The age of braces and extreme immaturity. Of cliques and bullies and being left out. Of shaving your legs and going through puberty. Of all the insecurities of life thrown at you at once.

I definitely still see the girl in the photos above in my mind. That's how I feel. All arms and legs. Incredibly horrible hair styles. Braces. Gangly. Gawky. Tomboy. I feel that way now even though it's been nearly twenty years since I truly looked like that.

What about you? Do you still think of yourself as an immature middle schooler? When you get into a spat with a friend or pull on an outfit that looks funny, does it make you flash back to the days of not getting invited to the birthday party or feeling like you annoy everyone?

In my case, I was a good kid. And I had friends. But I had one girl in particular that decided she didn't like me. She tried to get the other kids not to like me. She made fun of me and the fact that I didn't have as much money as the other kids at our Christian school. (I went there since my Dad worked there.) I developed a complex. I started to continually worry if people were mad at me. I would do anything so that people would like me. I would give this girl answers on tests. (And then tell on myself later -- I've never been good with guilt.) Everything I did was in an attempt to get other people to think I was okay. That I fit in. And yet I never felt like I did.

I was lucky. Starting in eighth grade, I began playing varsity basketball and became friends with a group of older girls who were past the pettiness of middle school. They stood up for me and cornered my "bully" behind the gymnasium one day to "instruct" her that she was not allowed to make fun of me ever again. That bully came up to me, crying, and repeated what they had told her. She'd leave me alone.

And she did. From that day forward, I began to fit in more and not struggle as much. But I don't think I ever quit feeling, deep inside, the way I felt back in seventh grade. To this day I worry what people think of me. I fight social anxiety. I picture people whispering behind my back, "Hey see that tall girl there! What a freak."

So here's to reminding ourselves that even if we still think we look like we are in middle school, we are grown-ups. And God, could care less what we look like. He can use anyone. Even a Jewish girl in a Persian empire.

P.S. Happy birthday Rachel! And happy anniversary Philip and Joia!

8 comments:

Danielle said...

If you get a chance read "Chosen: The lost diary of Queen Esther" I recommend this book to EVEYONE! It's fiction but so well written. I have never left you a comment, but I love you blog =)

Kelli said...

Thanks, Wendi! I feel insecure in so many ways and I needed a good reminder of God's unconditional love and acceptance.

ps. My friend's husband is in ranger school in GA and he is going to Eglin soon for more training...(something about a swamp?!?)

Anonymous said...

I can't say I feel like a middle schooler. I just find myself avoiding "really" becoming friends with people because of fear of rejection. They don't really want to be my true blue, just an acquaintance.
People would find out just how dull/boring/unattractive/unperfect I really am if I let them get to know me to well. So I don't.
Problem is, as I get older, I have no BFF's. Also, I'm finding that people think that I think I'm better than they are. They don't know that it's just the wall of protection I have carefully built up around me.
We sure do make life difficult for ourselves, don't we?
Anonymous

camfox said...

Wendi,
I really appreciated the insights on Esther. That must have been so hard. She really must have been an incredible lady.
I knew you back then Wendi, and I didn't know that you had been through that stuff. That's so rough! That bully had a ton of insecurities of her own, I'm sure.
I always loved you Wendi, and I thought you were awesome, and I think it now more than ever.

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Oh, Wen, I remember those days like they were yesterday. I remember that awful bully...and how I wanted to throw a punch at her a couple times for how she treated you. I still remember standing in the locker room once and hearing the nasty words come out of her mouth. We all knew she had her own insecurities and was just taking that out on you...but I know how that must have weighed on you. I had no idea all those older girls did that for you...stood up for you like that...that's an amazing thing they did. What a blessing they were...

And just so you know I never thought of you as any of those negative things...I always saw you as "the strong one", "the pretty one" (I still remember those awesome modeling pics you had taken)...you always had (and still do) the biggest heart and were/are a wonderful friend. It makes me sad that one person made you see yourself differently...cuz you were not that way in my eyes nor in many other's.

Love this post though (aside from that oh-so-gawky-awful pic of me...where did you get that??)....and I've heard amazing things about the study of Esther. I think we all have our insecurities and we need to be reminded that God could care less about all that...and that He uses each of us to fulfill His plan. Love ya, Wen...you are/always have been one strong person! You inspire so many of us!!

susie raskin said...

Hey Wen!
I loved the old pictures (especially the one from the bowling alley birthday party-- I remember that day!), and don't remember you as gawky at all... I always thought I was the gawky one!

It's funny about insecurities... I always thought you were cool because you were tall and athletic... I always felt bad about myself because everyone was always telling me how skinny I was. Which is kind of like being tall, I guess... I mean, you didn't ask to be tall and you can't hide it... much like being "the skinny girl".

I also somehow don't remember an evil girl bullying you... people are so mean, especially in middle school. However, I'm glad she got set straight and that you eventually found your confidence.

You were/ are an amazing athlete (and lots of other wonderful things as well). I hope she learned her lesson that day and is now treating people with the kindness and respect they deserve, just like you always do!

Anonymous said...

Some of the 'ick' you went thru as a kid seems almost like a stepping stone to the wonderful, compassionate,kind person you are today! It was not fun but it was not wasted!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Danielle: thanks for the recommendation!

Kelli: Oh yes, lots of swamps here. This base is the side of Rhode Island and known for its training facilities.

To the rest of you: You are awesome! Thanks for the encouragement. Wow, you guys made me feel fantastic! That's not what I was after but what a pick-me-up!

Sue, I'll send you a message on Facebook with the bully's name sometime! ;)