Friday, September 25, 2009

Can we have a moment of silence . . .

. . . for our cable.

It's gone.

It was an emotional decision. A hard decision. Even harder than normal since the winter Olympics are coming up soon.

But it had to be done.

We don't let the boys watch TV* and as a result, we try to keep it off whenever they are awake. That really limits how much we can watch. We also realized that we just aren't watching it that much, period. JB loves his cooking shows. I enjoy watching Good Morning America in the mornings and a few talk shows in the afternoon if the boys are napping. But this year I even gave up Survivor. It just isn't something we do much of. We do like to watch things on Netflix. Recently we have gotten into episodes of an old TV show: Jericho. JB finally convinced me to watch this show with him. It's awesome! Too bad it was only around for two seasons.

We've been really working on cutting costs in any way we can. The condo we own (and rent out) in Minnesota recently got assessed quite a large sum and it set us back a bit. In addition, I am not working for the first time in ten years. So we are learning to live on one income. I know some of you are like, your husband is a doctor. I correct you. My husband is a resident. While residents are doctors, they don't make what non-residents make. In addition, military doctors don't make what civilian doctors do.

I'm not complaining at all. We are doing fine financially. But we wanted to try to cut out a bit of the fluff. There is a lot of diaper and formula to buy in our house and we just wanted to get rid of the extras.

TV was an extra.

And it is gone.

I'm sure I'll be lamenting it's loss quite a bit in upcoming weeks and months. The good thing is I can watch some stuff online. I plan to do that.

RIP Kit TV. RIP.

*If you want to know our reasons for not letting the boys watch TV, you can visit this link. My husband is a doc so the AAP is something he listens to pretty closely. We plan to start letting them watch some once they turn two but to a limited degree. (And of course, there are exceptions, like when they are really sick and Seseme Street is on.)

No comments: