Monday, September 08, 2008

Whose idea was this anyway!?

My mom goes for a walk most workday mornings with her friend Julie. She goes at 5:30 in the morning which, believe it or not, is too early for even morning-person-Wendi.

Last week my Mom asked if I wanted her to take Scrubs with. An extra session of exercise?! I'm all about that! Of course she could take him with. So at 5:30 in the morning, she came in to my room and called Scrubs. He was excited by this. Someone wants to play with me!? Really?! First thing in the morning?! Okay, I'm in. Let's play. What do you want to play? Want me to get my rings? How 'bout the flashlight?! It was only when he saw his blue leash come out that he realized there was no play at all. This was going to be work. A walk? At 5:30? What kind of stupid idea is that?!

So this morning when my Mom came into my room and called Scrubs for walk #2, he did not go bounding down the stairs. In fact, he dug his but into the back of his bed so hard, I had to push him out with all of my weight behind me. He wasn't going to fall for this dumb idea a second time. I had to push him down the entire flight of stairs, and once on the bottom level, he hid behind the sofa. Poor puppy! I really did feel a little bad. How would you like it if someone strapped a leash to you at 5:30 in the morning and forced you outside for a walk when you had no desire to do it? However, seeing how tired he was when he came home and how well-behaved he's been ever since has made a huge proponent and helped me to overlook how sad he seemed about the whole idea. You go mom!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so shocked that he isn't more thrilled to go for walks, has he always been like this? I remember the video of the difference in leashes and how he reacts to them if I remember correctly the blue is the gentle leader that he doesn't like???? Is he getting any better at not pulling with the other leash that he doesn't mind putting on to go for walks?

I am very impressed with his sense of protectiveness on Sunday when he sensed there was something right and was alerting you to it.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Normally, Scrubs like walks but does not like runs that much. He seems to be excited to go out with me (as I am walking lately) and more upset to go out with JB (who always runs). The blue leash is the gentle leader. He is getting better about accepting it and his pulling is okay, but if he sees a duck (like he did yesterday) and I don't say "leave it" before he lunges, he takes off. I can't risk that with a stroller. He pulls in general. My trainer said some dogs just never give up on the pulling thing ... I don't think he plans to give up!

Anonymous said...

We use a gentle leader for Flash and he hides from it, even though he is excited to get to go for a walk. I think it's a combination of he knows that he can't pull as hard as he may want to if a rabbit goes by and I think he has a mild nylon allergy or the strap across his nose is itchy.... but if I don't use it I come back with a sore arm from trying to keep him within a couple feet of me. I think he will be one that doesn't give up on pulling (until he is very very old).... :)

Joia said...

I laughed out loud at this post and read it to Philip! Too funny! =0)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Scrubby....nobody..man or beast...should have to go for a walk at 5:30 AM!!!!
Keep hiding, Scrubby!
Cheryl

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Angie, I think this is what it is. Once he is out, he is excited. But the idea of having that thing put on is totally unappealing. And it is 5:30!!!

Joia, I miss you!

Tim and Roxanne said...

Gammy, Papaw, Garnett and Sammy feel this may be puppy abuse. The girls say he should at least get to sleep in until 6:30 like they do :O) Papaw says you should only run when someone is chasing you. Gammy is looking forward to a good face licking.

Come home soon Scrubbs and bring your brother too!