Monday, September 08, 2008

A bit scary

Well, my whole day yesterday wasn't scary. But one part gave me and my parents and my dog quite a spook.

First was church. That wasn't scary. Isaac went into the nursery, and apparently, he was his normal not-crying self. I ran into an old friend who said that when she went in to pick up her son, Isaac was the only baby not crying. He was just sitting in the swing, swinging away, enjoying life like usual. One funny part of church was when they decided to do a video. We were standing, singing, and then the whole sanctuary went black. Apparently during this blackness, everyone knew to sit back down except me. So when the lights came back on, there I was, chillin' by myself. At least I was sitting on the side!

After church, Nancy G. came over. That wasn't scary either. I wished I would have taken a picture so she could be on my blog, but I just forgot! Nancy is Kelly Stegs' mom. She and her husband Tom were my "Uncle Tom" and "Aunt Nancy" when I was growing up as they were friends with my parents before I was even born. It was wonderful to see her again. She's been a great support (and loyal blog reader) throughout our infertility/adoption/pregnancy journey, and I think she was as excited about Isaac's arrival as we were! Kelly and I were great friends growing up, and I spent many days at their house.

The next not scary thing was Hershal and Michelle's visit with their son Edward and Michelle's Mom, Jan. Michelle has been my friend since we were five-years-old, and we were the maid/matrons of honor in each other's wedding. She's been a loyal friend for life despite the physical distance that has existed between us since we graduated from high school. It was wonderful to catch up with them, if only for a short period of time.

But then things did get scary. I took Scrubs out for a bathroom break, and I've never quite seen anything like it. The dog was incredibly spooked. He kept jumping back, as if he saw something I didn't see. He was completely on guard, with his tail at complete alert the entire time. Since it was the middle of the day, and my parents live in a pretty safe place, I didn't think much of it, until we returned to the house, and Scrubs went to the sliding glass door and started barking like a mad man! I got up to check out the problem only to see a police officer with a huge gun! Apparently, they had arrested someone a few doors down, and rumor has it, someone was hiding in the bushes. I'm not sure if Scrubs saw this person or the cop or just heard something or felt something, but I'm really glad my pup was with me. Maybe JB is right. Maybe if it really came down to it, my dog wouldn't just lick a bad man to death! :)

Either way, I am reminded many times in South Florida that we are not on Eglin AFB anymore. Locking doors, keeping your Sunpass hidden, not walking outside alone at night . . . all rules of life here and not a rule of life back home. I am so glad we decided to live on base and that I feel so incredibly safe all the time. I don't enjoy being back on edge all the time -- a feeling I always had growing up. Life is very different "in the real world."

The rest of the day? Not so scary. Mom and I went for a walk with babe and dog and took a trip to Publix. JB has safely arrived back home. (He tells me the house feels very empty as the last time both Isaac and I were both gone, he at least had the dog there). Man, I miss him already. We finished the night watching the Bears beat the Colts. Too bad we couldn't say the same for the Dolphins over the Jets. Hopefully the Dolphins will win more than one game this year -- a repeat season like last year would be pretty scary!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is a Sunpass?

from a Northern

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

A sunpass lets you go through tolls without stopping ... your credit card pays it, People have been busting windows to steal them.

Anonymous said...

Wendi! That is very scary and actually wonderful that Scrubs is so in tune to the world around him!! I think you might be very surprised at the lengths Scrubs would go to, to keep you and Isaac safe....dogs have amazing loyalty to the point of putting themselves in harms way!! He is a GOOD dog!! :):)

I had the BEST time seeing and holding your little man, he is the cutest little guy!!! Great seeing you too!You look awesome and probably the next time I see you, you will have baby #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am up at Kellys now and she is BIG!!! Now Lord, let the baby arrive!!!! :)Enjoy the rest of your stay with those happy, beaming grandparents!! Love Nancy

Amy T. S. said...

One morning DH and I were awakened by a really loud noise and search lights practically shining into our bedroom. It sounded like a spacecraft was hovering over our house. Turns out it was a helicopter looking for a bad guy. It was weird and so scary! I don't think Punky would have been a good bad-guy licker.

Gabbs said...

Really? People actually HIDE their sunpasses? And other people actually steal them?? I mean, seriously, you can get them for $5 at the store now and that $5 goes toward tolls. Man, criminals really are dumb. Anyway, I'm still not hiding mine.

Edward Charles said...

Oh we had such a good time. It is amazing how quickly we catch up. I wish we lived closer. Love ya, Mich