Friday, January 04, 2008

The car title saga continues ... and a bit on racist dog owners

Okay folks. Let's flashback to a few weeks ago when I got pulled over by the cop for expired tags. Here is what I wrote:

Why do we have expired tags? Because we can't find our title! We have been trying to find it to no avail. We tracked down the right place in Minnesota to request one, only to find out that we never had our tag in Kentucky transferred to Minnesota. So we had to track down the correct place in Kentucky. They needed us to prove that we didn't owe taxes on the car for the last four years! So I had to dig out proof we had moved to Minnesota. They also needed us to get the police department to verify the readings on our odometer. Both those things are done, and we have the paperwork to send! We just don't have a new title yet to get new tags.

All right, back to the present. Kentucky sent us the car title. Today, I ventured to the tax office on base to secure Florida tags to replace our expired tags and our now expired temporary tags. I am now home, one hour later, with no tags. Why you ask?

Well pull up a chair folks as I climb right up onto this soapbox of mine to tell you story.

I am trying to stay calm as I write this, but I can already feel my blood pressure beginning to boil a bit.

First of all, JB and I have to go in together. Ask me how that is going to happen! Go ahead -- ask me! I have no earthly idea! We won't be on this base, on a weekday, together, for the next three weeks. Then, when we are on base together, the guy works ALL DAY LONG! Ugh! All right, so we can avoid that if JB goes by himself and changes the car into his name only. Honestly, I may just end up defaulting to that option. He'll be able to go while he's doing nights after the cruise.

Second reason we don't have new tags? The title that Kentucky sent us has a "lean" on it. This means that the bank is saying we owe money on a car we have owned since 2002! What?! I have no idea why this is. To correct it, I must find the bank that did this. Then I must get them to send me, on official letterhead, a statement that we don't owe money on the car. They can't fax this. They must mail it! Add to that that our bank changed names a few years back and the matter is even more complicated.

Moving stinks.

Tax offices, DMVs, they all stink.

So I left with another temporary tag. This one is the last one they will give us. We have thirty days to sort all of this out. I plan to wait until we get back from the cruise. These types of things drive me BONKERS!

(Climbing down off soapbox now.)

Speaking of paperwork, our adoption paperwork is moving along sort of bumpily as well. We got a letter from Immigration saying that our packet has been received, and we should receive approval within 90 days. That's the good news. I did find out, however, that my employment letter from Mayo and RLSF has to be sent to the state of Minnesota and something special must happen to it there. I have no idea what that something special is. Whatever! This I also plan to finalize after the cruise.

My third and closing point for this second-to-last blog before we leave for New Orleans is a question for you all out there. Did you know that dog owners can be racist? Folks it is true. I saw it today with my very own eyes.

If you are up for it, read on to learn the awful truth.

I took Scrubs to the dogpark this afternoon for a bit of a romp since we plan to bathe him before leaving him with Jodi. He can only go to the dogpark when a bath can follow because he gets so amazingly dirty. Seriously. He is lying next to me right now a greyhound. Anyways, I'm standing next to this man and his Australian Shepherd when this husky runs up to play. Scrubs plays with anyone and immediately begins sniffing the husky. Then this man turns and yells at the husky and tells the husky to leave his dog alone! We are at a dogpark folks! If you aren't familiar with dogparks, the dogs run off leash and play with whom and whatever they please.

So not understanding why this happened, I ask him what the problem is. And the man then turns to me and says, "I hate huskies! Haven't met one husky I like!" What? How can you be racist against a dog! This dog didn't do anything and got yelled at.

Oh and the husky's owner? Not too happy with that! She gave the man a piece of his mind while Wendi the confrontation-avoider slipped off with her Dalmatian who follows her everywhere to the other side of the park. What is this world coming to?

Breathe Wendi Breathe. Two sleeps till vacation!

No comments: