Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sigh . . .

I am having one of those days that I am, well, I guess just feeling sorry for myself.

I know I shouldn't be. I have a good life. But sometimes I just wish that I was back in Minnesota and that our lives were how they used to be.

It's hard to believe I just said that when it is zero in Minnesota today. Lest I so easily forget. It's actually in the 30's here on the Base today. There was ice in our wheelbarrow this morning! I also cut my Scrubs-walk short today due to the cold. Geesh. Thirty-five in Rochester, we'd be running around in our bathing suits.

Okay, so that's a bit extreme, but I want to make sure you realize that just six months away from the frozen tundra, and I am a warm-blooded blonde all over again.

What I miss was having my husband home. In medical school he was busy, but not busy like this! Some rotations are very good. This IM rotation is ... not very good. JB was on call again yesterday -- the second time in four days! This meant that he went in on Tuesday morning at 6am and didn't get off until noon today. He also got zero minutes of sleep. That means he has to sleep now and into the night. He'll get up for an hour or two and then go back to sleep again. I don't get to see him at all!

Grrrrr ... sometimes I handle this well. I would think that today would be one of those times since we are getting ready to go on our cruise for a week. But I can't help it. I just wish he was home more often and that we could hang out for more than four minutes as he scarfs down his lunch before going to bed!

Thanks for listening to me complain. This will pass quickly when we are sunning on a ship in Mexico. But today, I just wish I wasn't quite so solo! Buck up Wendi!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second that! I wish you guys were back in Minnesota too. :) And I sympathize with your absent hubby woes - today, David drove up to the hospital and got out of the car to go to work...and I got in to go home. A quick hug and kiss, and he was off! Good bye til tomorrow! But there will be better days. :) *hug*

Rachel and Hans said...

hugs to you, wendi! here's something to make you smile... i dreamed that hans and i were in FL when may baby arrived. it was so fun and i was laughing, then crying, and you were so happy. happy thoughts!! you deserve this cruise so much - can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

Wendi, I've got a question. And it sort of ties in with your entry today and the one from a few days ago when you were looking for a guest blogger. Your Aunt suggested that your Dad be the guest writer. I think your Mom AND Dad should each take a turn. Your Dad is a coach, is that right? With games and practices, was your Mom alone a lot at night? How did she handle it? Was your Dad your BB coach? Maybe he could tell us what it was like to coach his own daughter...or maybe they could both share with us thier feelings about May Baby and the joy of anticipating "Grandparenthood". How did they meet? Did they go to school together? Is your Mom involved with sports too? Just some questions to ponder. Jan

yuan family said...

Don't worry Wendi...we all have those moments and I am sure that I will have many more than you do when Brandon is in residency. We miss you though in MN!

Anonymous said...

Wen,
i LOVED that you said you miss MN -
cuz here i am with such a good life in IL, 4 new grandkids, buying our first home -and i'm still sooo homesick for Indonesia some days -i guess you can't live somewhere for some of the happiest moments of your life and not have a day of loneliness highlight a bit of what you lost -and tho new good is coming we DO miss the beauty of our life of 25 years in Indonesia and you, however many years in MN! It's a great thing / giftthat we have sweet sweet memories to look back on and long to redo!
It helps me each time i get to go back to Indonesia. I think you need to go back to MN together and stop in Chicago on your way! xo Tante Jan PS i liked that other Jan's ideas!

Anonymous said...

I think Adrienne would be a good one to 'guest'. The thing I love about her is she loves change and enjoys each change as an adventure.
I envy that!

AW said...

Jan had an interesting point about getting your folks to guest write. I wouldn't mind hearing them either.

My sister-in-law and one of my best friends are both coaches wives. My friends husband is the assistant football coach as well as the head baseball coach, so both winter and spring semesters she is a "coach's widow". My sister-in-law has a three year old and twin one year olds. With little to no help when her hubby's coaching. I know it's terribly hard on both of them.

I'm on call a lot for my job too and it stinks. Especially so now with Monkey Boy here...I really hate it. But until God provides me another job (or a winning lotto ticket!), it's the way it has to be. I've always hated how hard it is on Neil to deal with it. :-(

I'm not saying "buck up". I'm just commiserating with you...it's hard. It stinks. I try to find the good in it, but somedays it's just tough to be positive. But I CAN tell you that when that May baby gets here, you'll find yet another new "normal". He will bring you so much joy that all the troubles will be much more tolerable. I do speak from experience there! ;-)