Saturday, January 19, 2008

Weekend well underway

I finished out the evening yesterday with another trip to the dogpark. Actually, I took Scrubs to play and my mom took the kids to play. She said she wasn't comfortable managing "proper puppy protocol" which is probably accurate. There's a certain code around dog owners concerning when it is time for the owner to step-in and have the dogs split up. Scrubs is usually on the receiving end of bad behavior. He doesn't bark and doesn't get aggressive. His only down side is that he tends to h-u-m-p a bit too often. I'm constantly telling him to ease up in this regard. He is, also, carefree as to which sex he is doing this too or whether he is doing this to their head or backside. He simply likes to do it. He also likes to do it to any cushions he can find in the house. Sigh ....

After a good play at the dogpark, I made Mac-n-cheese for the kids at my mom's and then we headed back to their house for a very easy go-to-bed routine. I was quite impressed. Grace asked me to deal with a shadow on her ceiling and check for monsters in the closet, but otherwise, she went to bed without incident. Nate, also easily slid into his crib (complete with tent to keep him from climbing out!) He also gets an "uh-oh" in his mouth, one in each hand, and a sippy cup near his side. I wonder how many words people have for "pacifier". What do you call an uh-oh?

Side note: I think the sippy cup on the bedstand (which Grace also had) is a fantastic idea. You eliminate the "I need a drink of water" request when you can just call back "You have some in your sippy cup!" Brilliant! These parents today are soooo smart.

I actually spoke to Ray today, and he said that both he and Gabbi were feeling sick and were not even getting to enjoy the parks. In fact, they are probably heading home early today. I was very disappointed for them. They finally get an evening away, and they are both battling illness. How un-fun is that!?

Oh another sidenote: When I picked Grace up from school yesterday, her teacher came with her to the car and asked me if I have a Dalmatian. Grace is one of those kids that understands and knows everything. She is so on top of things. And she had obviously informed her teacher that I had a puppy (which she calls her puppy.) Anyways, her teacher told me that they are doing a unit on firefighters or something like that and could Scrubs come into school for a sort of "show- and-tell" for the lesson opn fire fighters. Yikes! I'm sure Scrubs would love it, but I'm not sure how excited he may get with dozens of five and six year olds petting him at the same time. I'm also not sure how nervous I would be about the event. I told her Gabbi could talk to her next week. I also told Grace I'd have to talk to Uncle JB to confirm whether Scrubs could handle his first show-and-tell. We'll see. Grace keeps telling me this is happening for sure. :) I don't think "we'll see" means the same thing to her as it means to me.

As for me, I'm smelling the brownies in the oven Grace and I just made! Yum! I also don't think Grace has any idea how long forty-five minutes is. No, they aren't done yet Grace!

1 comment:

Rachel and Hans said...

ha ha! "h-u-m-p"! i will never again wear my black workout pants around scrubs!! :-)