Thursday, January 24, 2008

Give Scrubs an "A+"

It's amazing that you can go from loving to hating an animal so quickly.

This morning, around 7:30am, Scrubs climbed up into bed with me and just snuggled. He was so sweet, so calm, so wonderful. What a great dog!

Yeah. Right.

At 9:00am I was chasing him down the sidewalk in my bare feet, my contact lense which had been on the tip of my finger somewhere in the grass. Scrubs had found a crack in my parents screen, made it a little bigger, and climbed out. He then decided to run away from me -- not so funny when you consider the busy intersection by my parents' house. I managed to catch him only because he decided he had to stop to go to the bathroom. Thank goodness for drinking a lot of water.

I gave him some choice words, threw him in his kennel, and continued chewing him out. All the while he just sat there, whining softly, as if he had no idea why I was so upset. And all the while me saying a thankful prayer that I happened to look out the window just as he broke through the screen.

Fast forward another hour, and we arrived at my old alma matter for Grace's show-n-tell. Folks, Scrubs had everyone fooled. He was AMAZING. He just laid there, ate snacks, and let thirty (?) four-year-olds come up and pet him. Grace was a great helper and so excited to be showing Scrubs off. He didn't jump, he didn't lick, he just sat there like this was old hat. Are you kidding?! Is this the same dog that just snuck out the back of the porch and left me running in my bare feet, my white shorts filthy dirty only an hour earlier?!

On the way back to my parents', I stopped at the dog park, and by the time we made it home close to noon, Bri & Joan were right in front of us at the stoplight. They came to this side of town to finally get to meet Scrubs and to have lunch with me since our schedules didn't match up for dinner. We went to Chili's and had a great time. Scrubs tried to show them some tricks, but he was so tired from his active morning, that he just sauntered into his kennel and went to sleep.

I am back home, and he is sleeping again.

It's a love/hate relationship. That's for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a couple two year olds I know -I won't say I raised! :) first the snuggling, then something wild, then so good!
Did you find your contact!!!!!!!!???
Tante Jan

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Nope. Lost forever. Good thing they are disposables!