Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Settling into life in 'Lauderdale

I am finally getting into a bit of a routine here at my parents' house. In hindsight, I probably should have spent a few days at home before trying to take off less than 24 hours after returning from vacation.

So let me back up a bit since I have just flown through my recent blogs.

The cruise was, wonderful. This was our first time cruising on Norwegian. Our other cruise had been on Carnival. Kudos to Norwegian for figuring out how to keep the main pool deck from being overrun by children: they made a kids' pool in the pack and made the adults' pool start at 5.5 feet! No kiddos there -- ever! In fact, I really enjoyed this cruise as there were a lot less children and a lot of older folks -- they are so interesting to talk to! More kudos to Norwegian for "Freestyle Dining." I loved this! We could eat at anytime we wanted in a variety of restaurants -- some free, some a few extra dollars and completely optional. JB and I did two pay restaurants -- a sushi place and a French place. Both great! Other than that though, Carnival wins out. Carnival's food was much better and so was their entertainment.

Yes, JB and I participated in the "Not-so-Newlywed" game. There was a couple married a week, one married one year, us (nearly ten years), and then a thirty year couple. We finished second by one question! (And I have to say that two of the questions they give the winners credit for were a bit controversial!) If I would have remembered how annoying it is when JB flosses with items that shouldn't be flossed with, I think we would have won ... or at least tied. When they asked what his most annoying habit was, I said burping. JB guessed flossing. Bummer! But overall, we got a majority of the questions correct, avoided too much embarrassment, and then found out that they were going to show reruns on the cruise television channel the rest of the trip. We kept getting stopped by people who were there or who saw us on TV with a phrase like, "Hey! There's the ten year couple!" It was fun.

I also got pretty badly burnt on the second day and was mad about that. For one because I had a pre-melanoma removed when I was twenty and made the decision I would never be a sun-bunny again! And then, I got into a book I was reading, the breeze was blowing, and it wasn't hot, and I thought that I was a-ok. Only to discover when I went inside, a nasty burn across my chest. Uggggh!!! Painful and bad for me at the same time.

I love running on the deck. I have, actually, taken up running again. My feet issues have not improved much, and I think I have convinced JB that not running isn't helping and that I think it is, in fact, the amount of time I spend in flip-flops that may be the problem. So we decided to try a month of returning to running and eliminating flip-flops from apparel to see if my feet feel better. We'll see what happens. I was happy to see that all my long, fast-paced dog walks had paid off, and I wasn't really that out of shape. I could run two miles without any problem at all. I like to run at least four, but after taking a few months off of running, this was good.

Didn't Jodi do a great job on the blog while we were gone? And a great job with Scrubs. We were so blessed to have her taking care of our little pup while we were gone. I really missed him and was glad to have him back, and then we came to Florida and were in a new house, with all new smells, and it only took me two days before I was at my witts end telling him to "leave!" He has found a new game which is "find something I know I am not supposed to have and run around furiously until Wendi gets up to see what I have and then try to get her to chase me." I have given up catching him (I can't) and have turned to treats. He will almost always drop the item for the treat if he views the treat as "worthy." I thought this would be encouraging him to take things, but JB reminded me that he's just a dog, and he is probably not thinking more than one step ahead. He isn't smart enough to think "If I steal this, I'll get a treat." He thinks if he steals it, he gets my attention and then he thinks if he leaves this he gets a treat. So I have turned to this option. It's working out okay.

I hope to post pictures for you all soon, but I, unfortunately, can't post pictures from my Dad's computer. I'll get to that when I can. I will share the ultrasound pictures as soon as I am physically able. We are so happy that little ___ is healthy and that his femur bones look to be a perfect length. She is measuring one week behind which is completely normal.

JB was sad to see me go but shortly thereafter, as soon as he started doing nights, he realized how little time he had. His first night included chest compressions on a newborn, so he was pretty stressed when I spoke with him. He's only home for about eight hours, the amount he needs to sleep, so there really isn't anytime to see him anyway. Getting out of town is for the best.

Okay, hopefully that update will suffice for a bit. I'll try to be a little better about my updates.

2 comments:

TAV said...

i'm glad you're relaxing at "home"- how many weeks is jb on nights? i'm not happy about the lack-o-picture situation at your parents' but can't wait to see your pics when you can get them up. love, your picture-loving friend :)

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I know Tara -- you are funny. I'll see if Ray and Gabbi can help me out with pics.

JB is on nights for two weeks. He is soooo busy. I've barely gotten to speak to him at all.

Can't wait to see you!