Thursday, November 17, 2016

We Bought a Farm: Eating Turkey

As I have mentioned previously on my Blog, we tried turkeys this year on the farm. We ended up processing 48 birds. I sold about 30 of them which left about 18 for us. It was a huge success. Not only did we break even (always a goal with us) financially, but the meal was simply and honestly just outstanding. I am not exaggerating when I say that the turkey JB made was simply the best I have ever eaten. In addition, the ground turkey we produced has simply blown me away.

I have decided to create a Blog post that discusses some of the things we have done with our turkey. While I hope this interests you, it is especially a post for me if we do turkey again in the future.


  • Turkey and Bulgar Stew with White Beans We simply replaced the ground lamb with ground turkey for this recipe. It was fantastic. We also used red onions and tried it without the spinach. Delicious! A real chili-like meal.
  • Tacos We made traditional tacos with ground turkey. Worked out great!
  • Curried Turkey Salad


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So was John's turkey the best because of the way he cooked it (if so what did he do special?) or because of your turkeys and how they were raised/
Auntie Janet

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Aunt janet, I am going to share how he brined his turkey in the next day or so. But we truly believe the meat was just THAT much better in the way it was cared for. Eating organically and being raised on grass and treated without stress were huge things.