Monday, March 22, 2010

First spin class ever

Yesterday I attended my very first "spin class." For those of you not familiar with these classes, there is a basically a room full of stationary bikes. You get on one and the instructor takes you on an imaginary ride up some very steep hills.

JB watched the boys and gave me some "alone time" to go work-out and then go browse the BX. Coupled with the fact that we got a date night on Saturday evening (finally used our Tradewinds gift certificate Ray and Gabbi) and I am feeling like I can tackle one more week of this single parent thing.

When I walked into class I saw Suzy (who led my "Moms in Motion" class when I was pregnant with Elijah) at the helm. Way cool! But then I remembered how hard she worked us and my excitement dropped about fifty levels.

She helped me to get set up on a bike and put me next to a guy who does triathlons and even teaches spin classes himself. She also told me I should get some spin shoes. It's my first day Suzy! C'mon! Let me see if I can even DO this bike thing before I go buy shoes.

I haven't been on a bike since the few times JB and I went riding in Minnesota. Before that, I don't know WHEN the last time was I was on a bike. Needless to say, this was a good way to start since crashing a stationary bike is next to impossible. (Although if there was a way to do it, I'm sure I would be the one to figure it out.)

The end result? Well, I really liked the class. Kristi had told me that she has been attending them and that she really enjoys them. While I was a bit thrown off by the fact that they turned off the lights and turned on strobe lighting, I eventually grew accustomed to that and was happy no one could really see what I was doing.

I was excited that I managed to actually pedal for one hour straight. I think that is a good thing. And in the end I got a fantastic work-out, a very sore hind end, and a great distaste for the word "hover" which encourages you to stay just above your seat while your quads nearly fall off.

I'm not sure how often I'll get to go to the classes. I may be doing more stationary biking with my borrowed machine at my house due to the fact that I have to secure childcare to go. But if I can, I'd love to go again!

Day one done. Today? The pool! Gulp!

2 comments:

Kelsey712 said...

I love spinning! I try to go to my gym's spin class twice a week!

Allison and Jared said...

I've been wanting to try one of those! Good to know they're fun!