Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Answers to prayer

Isn't it cool when God answers prayers? Even prayers that were just nestled somewhere in the back of your heart. Maybe a prayer that you were too tired to even mumble out loud. A small thing that may not have seemed worth the energy. Or something that you just didn't think was even possible for God to take care of. (I know, dumb. But you have to admit you think the same thing sometimes.) When will we learn that this is God we are talking about!

When JB goes on an inpatient rotation, it can be very hard for me. Inpatient means he is seeing patients admitted to the hospital. Their days are usually at least 12 hour with call on the weekend which runs from Saturday morning to Sunday morning with sleep required on Sunday before repeating the cycle on Monday. All said and done, he is usually gone about 95 hours for the week. There are only 168 hours in the week. If he sleeps eight hours a day that is 56 hours and added to the 95 he works that totals 151 hours. That leaves only 17 hours for him to get anything else he needs to get done: eat, dress, shower, shave, drive to work, do the bills, that sort of thing. Not to mention spend time with his family. That just isn't many hours. He barely gets to see the boys, and I often struggle to keep my head above water.

Most of the time these inpatient rotations last two weeks. But this one was going to be three weeks with two Saturdays on call. I was, dreading it.

I had gotten a few bright spots. My brother and his family were going to be here this week. And then the last weekend he was on call my friend Jaime was going to come and visit. But that still left nearly two weeks in the middle that would just be solo time. It's not that I can't physically handle the solo time. It's just that being a single parent is hard. Not to mention the fact that we have no family here and that most of my support staff (wifia and other friends) are gone during the next few weeks as well.

God knew this. But I'm not sure I actually said it to Him. I think I probably just whined it to the wall and to JB and to anyone else who wanted to listen along the way. Three weeks!? Ugh! Three weeks.

And then, yesterday, as Keith and I were talking, a light bulb went off. We started brainstorming and a plan was hatched. AD, who has to get back to work on Monday, could fly home. Keith and Charleigh could stay for another week. Keith was on board. AD was on board. It would give Charleigh more time with her cousins. It would give me someone to talk to. Yipeee!

So now, I have company for an entire extra week, leaving only a few days in the middle to fly solo! How cool is that? Isn't God good to help me with such a minuscule, tiny little thing, that in the grand scheme of life really matters very little.

Love my God.

And that wasn't the only way that he came through this week. There were other things too. Keep reading for some rather big news.

***

My MOPs talk for one. It went well. It really came together. I can't know for sure how it went of course as there is no tangible measure of these things, but the comments were all positive and it seemed well-received. It is my prayer that if the Lord wants this message louder, He will open the doors for me to share it on a bigger platform be it a book or more speaking opportunities, or whatever.

***

Elijah was another answer to prayer. Monday he had a really rough day. It was a day that left me scratching my head, unable to ascertain how else to handle him. My mantra with my boys is "consistency and calmness." It took everything in me on Monday to stay true to that. Was this new behavior indicative of what was to come? How could time-out ten times in a row not change a behavior?

And then yesterday he had a fantastic day. A great day. He was in the best mood. He listened incredibly well. And I felt the Lord whisper in my ear, "You will have bad days. But you will have good days too. Don't forget that the morning brings rejoicing." Amen.

***

But that isn't all, and if you are reading this far into the post, you'll be glad you did. We found out that it is nearly definite as to where we will be going next year for JB's years of payback. And for those of you who have heard from me personally, it is the place that we most hoped. Even better news? It appears that some very good friends will be going with us -- to a location that does NOT deploy their physicians!

We want to get the paperwork in hand before we go counting our chickens. But to make a long story short, we got "unofficial word" that we were going as JB was asked to attend a week long teaching seminar that he would need when we got to this new base, indicating that we are in fact going. We are so thrilled to have a bit more definitive answer to our future! I'll post more on this for sure when the paperwork comes in.

***

Thank you Lord for small miracles. For tiny bits of positive to give sunshine to my days.

14 comments:

Judy Woodford said...

Yes, He is in the little and the big, ain't it great? Hallelujah!

Mrs. H said...

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!

Anonymous said...

Don't give up with Elijah. Consistency and calmness, plus starting each day with prayer will see you through. And the good news is, once you figure out a specific stage, they up and grow out of it!
Laura from HP

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Yay! Jack and I can come play some on the third week if that helps;)

Anonymous said...

oh i am so glad i peeked in on you today -i just loved this blog --and seeing God at work in His love in your lives...just brings so many memories of my own life!
I am sooo glad Keith can stay longer, you have help and God answered even when you barely asked! He is the best parent isn't He?!
I so remember too realizing i had to sometimes just keep on keepin' on repeating and repeating and loving and disciplining and just when i'd be in tears thinking it won't work and/or i'm doing it all wrong...the penny would drop and they'd start figuring it out -at least for a day or so, but later more consistently....we forget they are LEARNing to obey...learning takes time! And oh the joy of knowing the answer of where to do--enough -just know i love ya! Tante Jan I wish i could hear your talk for Mops!

Anonymous said...

I meant the joy of where to go, not where to do! (your assignment! :)
Tante

Anonymous said...

I ment where to go not where to do --(your assigment)! xo Tante

Becky said...

Yeah! Such great news, I am so excited for your guys! To go to a place where JB won't have to deploy is such a blessing. I know the likelihood would have been very high had he gotten any other assignment. Many of John's classmates are getting deployed six months after getting out of school. Deployment is always difficult, but I can't even imagine how hard it would be for you guys to go through it at this point in your life.

So happy to hear your talk went well. God has truly gifted you with an ability to speak for women who are hurting. I have no doubt you ministered to many by your talk.

We have our own great news - our home study was approved!!!!

Rabens Family said...

So happy to hear that it looks like you guys will be getting your first assignment choice. We can't wait to hear where everyone is going.

Wegner Family said...

I'm so glad that you guys appear to be headed where you were hoping and praying for!

Emily said...

Yay for the good news on your assignment, and for the MOPS meeting, and for your endurance with Elijah! I had "one of those days" on Tuesday - I wondered what on earth had gotten into my daughter, and I despaired that she had morphed overnight into a brat! But yesterday, she was much more like herself. I trust that the Lord will use these rough days to make us more dependent on Him!

Joy Z said...

What good news indeed! Our God is so good.

We had a small answered prayer yesterday as well. Vic and I were at Burger King with the kids when I looked up and saw two shit-zhus running in the middle of the main highway in Crestview. Vic to the rescue! The dogs were very nearly missed by a number of cars as they continued to dodge in and out of busy traffic. I was just telling the kids not to look because I didn't want them to see an awful sight. Vic was able to catch one but the other one was skittish and just wouldn't let him get close enough. We all piled into the Suburban with the little dog and went looking for the other one. We drove around for quite awhile to no avail. Finally, we realized that there was a subdivision right behind the shopping center that we were near and we figured that perhaps the dogs belonged there. We asked a few people if they recognized the dog that we had. One man said he thought he had seen the dog before but wasn't sure. We decided to take the dog we had to the vet to see if she might've had a microchip. No such luck. Then we took her home, made a sign and went back and posted it at the entrance of the subdivision, hoping we had made the right guess. We then went back home and waited. I silently prayed that we had made the right guess and that someone else had been able to pick up the other dog or he had found his way home. It made me just sick to think that most likely he would be hit by a car on the busy highway. Within about an hour of returning home, we got a phone call from the owner! Praise God. She was on her way to pick up the dog that we had but I told her I didn't have the other one, the he had eluded us. When she arrived to pick up the dog we had, she informed me that she had just gotten a call from home saying the other dog had retured! Yay!!! Such relief for all of us. I knew you would enjoy this story since you're a dog lover too!

Amy T. S. said...

I sure wish it was Lackland AFB, but I know it isn't. Alas.

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Joy, LOVED the story!