Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hawaiian Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 lbs of chicken
  • Butter
  • 9oz can of pineapple chunks
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar*
  • 1 tsp salt*
  • 1/3 cup of catsup*
  • 2 TBLS cornstarch*
  • 1/4 cup vinegar*
  • 1 tsp soy sauce*
Directions: Cook 2-3 lbs of chicken in boiling water. Cool and remove skin and bones and put pieces in a casserole dish. Pour 1/4 of melted butter over chicken. Drain the juice from a 9oz can of pineapple chunks (I usually use the large 12 or 16oz size) and mix with starred items. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Add pineapple chunks and pour over chicken. Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

Overall rating:
  • Simplicity: 3.5
  • Taste: 3.5
  • Nutrition: 2.5
Total rating: 3

Wendi's report: This was a recipe I grew up with. Thus I imagining that it was my mother who left this? I love Hawaiian chicken. I actually just cut the chicken up and cooked it in the dish with the rest of the meal which was easier and seemed fine. I also used shredded pineapple to make it easier for the boys. I love this recipe. John isn't as crazy about it. He doesn't like the "gummy" taste of corn starch. Elijah loved it. Isaac gave some pretty crazy faces. Overall, I would recommend everyone trying this one. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

Wen - I made something similar the other night, but using the crock pot. Just throw some boneless chicken breasts in the crock pot, 1-2 cans of crushed pinapple (drained), 2 tbs soy sauce (I used low-sodium and a bit more), 1/2 cup of terryaki marinade, and 2 tbs brown sugar. Turn on high for 3 hours or low for 5. Shred chicken with fork when done and serve over rice (I used couscous). Yum! A little healthier than the recipe you posted and without the cornstarch so John would like it! Plus...I love crock pot recipes...can't get any easier than that!

mom said...

It twas your mother. I love Rachels twist to it. Only problem is my crockpot just seems cook things too quickly-even on low.

Kendra said...

I am so going to try this! I love pineapple and Rachel's version in the crockpot sounds super easy!