Thursday, April 29, 2010

Heading "home"

Yesterday our day was spent getting some of our last hugs from people we love.

Today we will begin the drive back home.

Spent the morning with Joni, post-Europe-return-flight. She was tired. Very tired. Still, she willingly drove a half hour to love on my boys. Went to Butterfly World. Ate lunch at McDonalds. Talked. Looked at pictures. She brought Andre Agassi (her papillion) with her. The boys chased him around until his little dog eyes just pleaded with Joni to please pick him up and save him from four little grubby hands. I'm eight years old. Don't they know this is too much for my aging little papillion legs?

After some naps for the boys, the good bye hugs began. First Bri came by despite her busy exam schedule. Then Aunt Danielle. Mom came with Nate and Grace and brought dinner. Apricot chicken! Yum! Whatamom! I had called her earlier in the day and told her that I felt a bit overwhelmed getting the boys out of the house with our trip scheduled the next day even though we had planned to go over to their house for dinner. So she brought dinner. And many of the Kits. joined us. Uncle Ray. Aunt Gabbi. Uncle Grant and Aunt Elizabeth. Grampa. The whole gang. Even Matt, who was working, called to say good bye via phone.

This is how the Kit. family does things. Last good byes are big to them. They always make a point of having them. What a wonderful family to be a part of. I have been dating JB since 1993. Nearly twenty years. I have basically been included in their lives for two-thirds of my own life. What an blessing they are!

Speaking of "whatamom", today, Mom K. and I will begin our trip back to Eglin. Following afternoon naps we'll head to Orlando where we'll spend the night at Eddie and Katie's before making the remainder of the drive on Friday. I was planning on completing both these drives solo. What a fantastic gift to have someone with me -- not only for the company but for the fact that I will be able to run into the bathroom without unloading the stroller and lugging both boys in with me each time. This means I can drink as much caffeine as necessary without worrying about stoppage requirements.

It is with mixed emotions that I say good bye to South Florida and most of our families and head back to Eglin AFB.

The last six weeks of my life have been incredibly hectic and difficult for our little family. I have been challenged emotionally each day. It began with three weeks straight of inpatient hospital work -- long weeks for JB -- nearly ninety hours of work each week. We had one week of vacation which, while wonderful, was a bit exhausting and insane. This was followed by two weeks of separation while JB was on nights and we were here in Florida. I have felt completely out of my groove, out of our schedule, and just weary of being on the road.

Friday, tomorrow, is a monumental day in our lives. JB will do his last evening of nights. The last "hard" day of work in residency. And this day will also conclude his chief duties. The new chiefs will take over tomorrow. He will be on some light rotations until the end of residency. He graduates June 24th.

God always has our best interest in mind. I have begun to grow restless. JB too. I think this is God's way of making things easier on us. Each time we have prepared to move -- first to Kentucky and then Minnesota and then back to Florida, my heart has been "ready" to go. While overwhelmed and sad and weary, I have always felt the stirrings in my heart to begin our lives again somewhere else -- stirrings to have the move behind us and settle down somewhere new.

This time is no different. I am going to miss those friends we have made on Eglin tremendously. But it is time. I am ready for residency to conclude. I am ready for a new adventure.

This is where the mixed emotions come into play. I am starting to feel the move we are about to make and the fact that we will be leaving our extended family and friends when we head overseas. While I am excited about our move to Turkey, I am also feeling the sadness that will inevitably accompany being so far away from those people we most love.

Either way, today, we will begin our drive back to Eglin. Mom K. will rent a car and drive back to Orlando on Saturday. On Wednesday my Tante Jan and Oom Ed will visit us on Base. Joan and Bri will come in for Isaac's birthday party after that. Lots going on.

Happiness and excitement about our new adventure wait. Mixed with a sadness of leaving behind the familiar.

Bittersweet.

No comments: