Monday, April 19, 2010

Lost in the Flowers

Post-vist to FLCS followed by lunch with my brother at Chik-Fil-A, I let both boys out of the van and then lead the way to the door of my parents' town home.

Diaper bag and purse (yes I carry one now) swung over each shoulder, keys in my hand, and four matchbox cars interlacing the fingers of my other hand, I glanced over my shoulder at my boys. Isaac had his hand around Elijah's back; he was guiding him to the door. My heart melted to see this love between them. I thought to myself, "I need to write about this on my blog."

I'm writing. But the story doesn't end there.

I took out my keys, opened the door, and turned around. Isaac was standing there, milk cup in his hands.

But where was Elijah?

I yelled his name. He didn't pop his head out from anywhere. He's been into hiding lately so I thought if I "found him" the game would be over. It only had been about three seconds! Where could he have gone? I ran out to the van and looked both ways down the long sidewalk. No Elijah!

My head was telling me that it was impossible for a child to disappear within one head turn. But my heart was going crazy.

I turned back to usher Isaac into the house while I looked for his little brother. I tossed the matchbox cars into the foyer of my parents' home along with the diaper bag and purse. Another turn around toward the van, and my blood pressure returned to a semi-state of normal. I spotted Elijah. He had decided to make the bushes in front of my parents' house his new hiding place. Not only that, but he had decided to sit in the dirt, and when I tried to go in and get him out, he decided to get on his hands and knees and start crawling away from me.

Did I mention that my brother and I went to Chik-Fil-A because it has been pouring rain for two days and it's a muddy mess outside and we needed somewhere to play that wasn't a dirty mess?

Yeah. You get the idea. Mud. Everywhere. Muddy shoes. Muddy knees. Muddy bottom. Muddy hands. Muddy Elijah. Muddy.

Upon entering the house, I let Isaac walk ahead of us into the living room while I pulled off everything Elijah was wearing. While Isaac went, well, I'm not sure where he was to be perfectly honest, Elijah wandered into the kitchen, only a diaper on, and promptly pulled an entire stack of clear plastic cups out from their plastic wrapper. I think there were about 82 cups in all. Of course when they came out of the plastic, they decided to separate themselves into every nook and cranny of the kitchen.

At this point I have no idea where Isaac is. I'm just trying to find something to wipe Elijah's hands off while not tripping over any plastic cups.

I woke up this morning with a new perspective. I'm winging it today. I'm going with the flow.

Even if the flow is a dirty trip into the flower bed.

4 comments:

Katie said...

wendi--you are hilarious!! your last 2 posts have had me cracking up! you should write a book..hope the rest of your day is less eventful! :)

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

Sounds like quite an adventure;)

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha MY STOMACH HURTS!!
love you and my little rug rats:)
mom k

Brittny said...

you WILL look back on the trip and these days and laugh. i promise!!! just be glad you have a way to record it so you won't forget it.