Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Do the next thing

Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it
reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all
resultings, do the next thing.

Loved the poem Joy! Thank you for sharing that and for the others of you who encouraged me when I was feeling the stress the other day. My Mom knew it as when she called, I had trouble not crying. When I talked to JB that evening, he encouraged me, as he always did, and said that he had just had a lecture on something that he thought might help me.

He said that I need to, mentally or actually, make columns of things I need to do. The horizontal columns would include: Important, Not-Important, and then the vertical rows would be Urgent, and Not-Urgent. Unless something is in the Important and Urgent column, it doesn't have to be something I'm worried about right now.

I'm looking at the big picture and seeing the 1000 things I need to do in the next three months to move us across the world. But how many of those 1000 things are urgent and important today? Very few. So, like it says in the poem above, I'm going to just do the next thing.

Today that means going into Fort Walton Beach to get birth certificates for both boys and bringing them in so that we can get our non-fee passports underway. I'm also going to try and start packing for our trip. But that's it. That's all for today. Just those few things.

Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

1 comment:

Joy Z said...

Glad you have some focus for this day. May the Lord bless you in getting done the things you have for today.