Sunday, April 25, 2010

Coyote Carrera Complete!

The Coyote Carrera Triathlon has concluded and Kristi and I finished it! Our goal was to finish in under 2 hours. Kristi did it around 1 hour and 35 minutes. I did it in 1:45. These times are even more impressive (for us) because the run turned out to be closer to 4 miles! It was supposed to be a 3.1 mile run, 12.4 mile bike, and 400meter swim. For some reason, and we still aren't sure why, the course for the run was set up incorrectly and we actually did somewhere closer to 4 miles. This may not seem like much, but it probably tacked on about 8-9 minutes to our times.

Anyways, pictures are more fun, so before I get carried way with words, let me back up and start the day with you when we started it. Too early!

Check out the mini basketball hoop in the background. Can you tell by this photo that it is about 5:00 in the morning. We look a bit tired. This is right before our breakfast and car loading. It was about a 1 hour drive from Kristi's house in Santa Fe to the race in Albuquerque.


Lee came a bit later with the camera and the kids. Kristi and I got to the race site at about 6:45 and began preparing ourselves, our bikes, and our stuff, for the race. When Lee got there closer to race time, he snapped this shot of us.


Here is super-Dad before the race with Kristi. Not only did he manage 3 kiddos and a camera during the race, but the stroller broke halfway through the day. I can't say enough about Lee's help. He'll downplay it, but I seriously do not think I would have been able to do this for the first time without his help. He is quite the triathlon veteran.


Here are Kristi and I showing off our numbers. They write your number on each arm and on one leg. On the other leg they write your age. Kristi was obviously thinking about something else when they asked her her age. She told them 30! Try 33 Kristi. Mine still says 32, but only for a few more weeks. I also think I am going to have these numbers written on me for quite some time. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon!


Here are Kristi and I at the starting line. Somehow we ended up in the front with all the intense race people. We didn't stay there for long!


Here is another picture of the first wave of participants. The race had two waves of people. The first group included Kristi and me. The second group started ten minutes later. This is the only thing about the triathlon that I wasn't crazy about. You could finish first but not actually be the winner! You also, really have no idea how you did in your age groups until later. We will wait for them to post the results on the website to see how we finished and what our official time was.


Here is Kristi finishing the run. Doesn't she look fantastic! The run was very hard for both of us. I think elevation did factor into it for me a bit. But I think a bigger issue was the fact that we paced for a 3.1 mile race and did about a mile more. That felt like so much! We stayed together for much of the run. (I am in the yellow vest behind Kristi.)


Here I am about to end the run and go into the transition area to get on my bike. (Well Lee's bike but my bike for this race.)


Here is Kristi in the transition area. While she got there before me, I ended up leaving a bit before her as I didn't have to change my shoes. Kristi wore bike shoes. I didn't. I have learned the importance of the bike shoes as I struggled with cramps in my feet during the second part of the bike.


Here is Kristi looking awesome on the bike! While Lee didn't get a picture of me on the bike, I must admit that I did much better on it than I thought I would. The hardest part for me was not knowing how to pace myself. There weren't markers up and as a result, I had no idea if I had done 5 miles or 10. I know distance in running from doing it so much but don't know biking. I passed Kristi when she made the loop to head back, and she told me I was doing great. I realized she was right when I looped only about 20 seconds later. I wasn't actually that far behind her.


All right. The swim. It was INSANITY! You had to do one lap up and back and then go to the next lane. There were so many people. You were getting kicked and pushed and just banged around. There were so many waves, I couldn't even attempt to work on my breathing.


Even worse than the beating though was my foot cramping. I had some bad cramps in the water and had to stop a few times (like in the picture) to get the cramps out of my feet.


Me swimming. Breathing to the side was next to impossible for me due to all the waves and fear of getting socked in the nose.


Another picture of the swim. Yikes! This was definitely the scariest part of the race.


Kristi bringing it in!


Kristi right after she finished, about ten minutes in front of me! She is in such great shape now. I am so blessed she encouraged me to do this as I am in great shape now too.


Here I am just after finishing the swim. Kristi and I braided each other's hair in the morning. Having it in the two braids was fantastic.


I am including this picture as proof that Elijah got his eye shutting technique from me! Ha!


Done!!!!!!


Friends forever!


In warm clothes! It was cold when we started (about 41.) And I think by race end, it was only about 50 degrees. The pool was heated but once you got out, it was cold!!!

After the race we had brunch with a couple and their children, friends of Lee and Kristi, who came to cheer us on during the race. Then we headed back, rested and showered, and Kristi and I went out for a dinner and dessert time with just us girls.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much fun I had today. It is a memory that I will hold close for the rest of my life. I am so blessed to have been able to do this with such a fantastic friend. And to have her husband help us not feel completely lost. I definitely plan to do this again and soon. And I think JB is going to do it with me. I think I have found my post-basketball activity. I just can't run that far. But when you divide the exercise between three activities, it is reasonable and not to boring or long. I loved it!

If you are even contemplating doing this, PLEASE consider it. There were many people who were novices like us. Many people were decades older than us or obviously not in the best of shape but they did it anyway! Anyone, really, can do this. The attitude is one of encouragement and support and just pride for being there. There are some intense racers, but the majority of people were just like Kristi and me. There to have a good time.

I had the time of my life. Tomorrow I will fly home and see my boys, refreshed and blessed. Thanks Lee and Kristi for time of my life. Truly the only thing that could have made it better was to have my husband and sons here with me. What a weekend! What a day! What fun!

And a HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for all you encouragement, comments, support, and prayers! You are wonderful. If I don't tell you individually, please take this as my thank you!

10 comments:

Gabbs said...

So much for an indoor pool! So glad to hear about your day and that you had a great time. Sounds like fun! can't wait to see you again in a couple of days. :) Hope tomorrow is a wonderful travel day for you.

Lisa Cronk said...

Way to go! I'm so impressed!
: ) Lisa

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, and Julianne said...

You did great Wendi and you are in awesome shape girl! The swim does look like insanity and I could feel my heart beat faster just reading through this post because it seems so exciting:) Hope you have a great travel day.

Rachel and Hans said...

Congrats, Wendi! Looks like a TON of fun!

June said...

You two are awesome! Congratulations all around!

Anonymous said...

Wow Coach K, I am so proud of you!! I have been bragging on you - have your ears been burning? :) Great job!!!

Joia said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You guys are totally awesome, and the pictures are fantastic!!

Becky said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so proud of you. You both look like you are in fantastic shape!

Joy Z said...

I am so happy for you! Congrats!

yuan family said...

Congrats Wendi! It looks like you did great!