Friday, February 05, 2016

Facebook's Favorite Books: Updated


I recently posted on Facebook asking for people's SINGLE FAVORITE BOOK (other than the Bible.) I took what my friends gave me and split them into two groups.

The first category is favorite books that I have read. I have decided to star them according to how much I liked them.

*** AWESOME
** GOOD
* DIDN'T LIKE IT

BOOKS I'VE READ
  • The Outsiders ***
  • The Shack * (Just couldn't finish this.)
  • Mark of the Lion series ***
  • Redeeming Love ***
  • This Present Darkness **
  • Chronicles of Narnia series **
  • And the Shofar Blew **
  • To Kill a Mockingbird ***
  • Zion Chronicles (Brock and Bodie Thoene) **
  • My Utmost for His Highest **
  • A Walk to Remember ***
  • The Kite Runner ***
  • Catcher in the Rye **
  • The Hunger Games ***
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain ***
  • Little House Books ***
  • A Bend in the Road **
  • The Help ***
  • A Passion Most Pure (Julie Lessman) ***
  • A Passion Redeemed (Julie Lessman) ***
  • A Passion Denied (Julie Lessman) ***
Next I have a list of books that you listed that interested in me in going onto a "To Be Read" list. Please note that I have left some recommended books off of this list because I didn't think they would interest me. I am going to work my way through these books and then rate them as I go. (I may, after reviewing more closely later, decide to exclude some of these books.) I am bolding them once I read them and rating them as well. But for now, my list includes:

BOOKS YOU ARE RECOMMENDING (I have bolded them when I read them):
  • Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
  • Snow Falling on Cedars**
  • The Giver (Lois Lowry) 
  • Sherlock Homes (Original by Sir Arthur Conan)
  • Winds of War
  • War and Remembrance
  • The Time Traveler's Wife**
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • Gone with the Wind
  • The Devil in Pew Number Seven
  • Wish me Well
  • Sense & Sensibility
  • Jane Eyre
  • Like a Driven Leaf
  • Works of Love
  • Yada Yada Prayer Group series
  • Undaunted (Christine Caine)
  • Cross and Switchblade
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
  • Kisses from Katie (Katie Davis)**
  • One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
  • The Rosie Project (Graeme Simsion)***
  • The Count of Monte Cristo
  • The Brothers Karamazov
  • Enders Game
  • My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams
  • Rich Dad, Poor Dad
  • The Last Plea Bargain
  • A Lantern in Her Hand
  • Freedoms Holy Light Series
  • The Double Blind
  • Calm my Anxious Heart (Linda Dillow)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Cold Mountain
  • The Rule of Four
  • Les Miserables
  • Kitchen Table Wisdom
  • My Grandfather's Blessings
  • How I came to Spark Again
  • P.S. I Love You (Cecelia Ahern)
  • Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
  • Still Alice (Lisa Genova)
  • No Better Friend (Robert Weintraub) 
  • Glass Castle
  • Make Your Home Among Strangers
  • The Art of Hearing Heartbeats
  • When they Rise Up
  • After Anne
  • For the Love
  • Sandcastle Girls
  • A.D. 30 (Tedd Dekker)
  • Nightingale (Kristen Hannah)
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Mary Ann Shaffer)
  • Someone Knows My Name (Lawrence Hill)
  • She's Come Undone (Wolly Lamb)
  • This Much I Know is True (Wolly Lamb)
  • The Night Circus (Erin Morganstern)
  • What Alice Forgot***
Anything I have missed? Leave a comment if your favorite book isn't on the list.

22 comments:

Cherish Lee said...

Outlander By Diana Gabaldon

Anonymous said...

You are one of the few people who did not like the Shack either -I couldn't finish it...but i do love the Thoene books and Chronicles of Narnia and would have given them a 3...so I'm not sure you'll enjoy this one but want to mention it as you raise girls in the US culture (and i KNOW John would enjoy it cuz Ed did aLOT and we had good talks about it -) It's Unseduced and Unshaken by DeRosset ...and I KNOW you'll love the Love Letters by the Adams' -I loved it so much and would read it again.Auntie Jan

Anonymous said...

George and I LOVED the Shack!! Couldn't put it down!

Bonnie said...

"How I Came to Sparkle Again", by Kaya McLaren.

"P.S., I Love You" (or anything) by Cecelia Ahern

Lisa Cronk said...

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. His books are getting formulaic, but the Notebook was SO good that I keep reading the other ones he publishes hoping to find another one THAT good. Hopefully you haven't seen the movie...the movie isn't as good as the book and kinda ruins the plot twist/surprise in the book.

: ) Lisa

Lisa Cronk said...

OK, so I have to add a few more:
"Same Kind of Different As Me" by Ron Hall
"Kitchen Table Wisdom" and "My Grandfather's Blessings" by Rachel Naomi Remen

Anonymous said...

The Mitford series by Jan Karon!

Anonymous said...

Les Miserables.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
miss fluffy said...

This is way more than one, but I don't think I can choose just one favorite book!

The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum)
The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)
Little House books (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
A Bend in the Road (Nicolas Sparks)
The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier)
The Rule of Four (Ian Caldwell)

A few on my to-read list:

Last Child in the Woods (Richard Louv)
Love books (Janette Oke)
Big Stone Gap (Adriana Trigiani)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Rebecca Skloot)
Brave New World (Huxley)

I am currently reading 1984 (Orwell) because I'd never read it in school! I just realized that many of my recommended books were (or are being made) made into movies - even if you have seen the movies, I still recommend reading the books.

Dana said...

If you read and like The Giver by Lois Lowry, the other 3 books in that series are pretty good. They are "Messenger", "Gathering Blue" & "Son".
If you like fantasy fiction (supernatural type stuff) with a lot of history, my all time favorite series if books is the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. When I read the summary on the book jacket I thought it would be ridiculous (witches, vampires, time travel) but it is actually amazingly well written. The author is a professor of the history of science, these are her first non textbooks that she has written and she is extremely talented. I really loved how accurate all of the history is in the books.
Dana

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I have edited my list to add books put in these comments.

A few notes:

1. I did not like THE SHACK. I could not finish it.

2. I was not a fan of THE MITFORD series. Maybe I need to try it again.

3. Not a fan of DaVinci Code.

4. Lisa, I loved THE NOTEBOOK the book and the movie equally!

Anonymous said...

My favorite all time is: Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier.....
Joan

Anonymous said...

Great list - but when do you have time to read? Would love some ideas on fitting in something that I love but seem to overwhelmed to do ...

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I squeeze reading in whenever I can but I especially read for thirty minutes
Before bed every night.

Tracye said...

Loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Don't let the title deter you! I love listening to audiobooks, and it's a great way to "read" while working.

Oh...try Jan Karon again. Also, you might enjoy the Father Tim series if you didn't get into the Mitford series.

Dana said...

Ender's Game is a really well written and engaging book. Be prepared though if you read it and the other's in the series it has some really (REALLY) disturbing violence throughout. I still loved the stories and the theme of the books but even someone like me who reads pretty much any and everything had to work at times to get some of the visual imagery out of my head from this book. Never saw the movie when it came out but it looks like it was very toned down from the book. If you liked Hunger Games though you will probably like Orson Scott Card's books too, he's just a little more graphic in his depictions.
Dana

carla said...

I saw that someone else put "The Same Kind of Different as Me," which I LOVED. And it is a true story. Also, "Carry On, Warrior," by Glennon Doyle Melton. I have not read it, but all my reading people have loved it so much I bought my own copy. I will get there one of these days. Also, I think you should try Jen Hatmaker's new one: "For the Love." Also haven't read, but I am SURE it will be good. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Anything by Lorna Landvick-Especially "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons"

Anonymous said...

If you likes The Kite Runner, I think you'll enjoy A Thousand Splendid Suns. Same author.

-Kelli Dubois

Patty PB said...

"In the Time of the Butterflies" by Julia Alvarez
One of my all time favorite books!!

Anonymous said...

The Martian was really good. It has some language, but I could not put it down.